• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU OverHeat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AcaMol

Registered
My cpu temp is ~45 when idle but when i run Prime95 (for example) the heat raises to 58-62
currently I'm running my 4600+ on 1.35v 238 FSB 11x with stock cooling..
are these temps normal? I want to raise the volt to 1.4+ so i can run the FSB on higher Mhz..

AcaMol said:
My cpu temp is ~45 when idle but when i run Prime95 (for example) the heat raises to 58-62
currently I'm running my 4600+ on 1.35v 238 FSB 11x with stock cooling..
are these temps normal? I want to raise the volt to 1.4+ so i can run the FSB on higher Mhz..

those temps are way out of line , 45 idle is too high , I would try and re-seat the HS , idle temps should be below 40 and max temps should stay around 52 ish to be safe

gocartman2 said:
what are you using for thermal interface? arctic silver?
i wouldnt even use the stock cooling if overclocking, but im guessing you got the heat pipe version which may be good but ive never used it

I'm not sure what i'm using for thermal interface but i think it is arctic silver though its been quite a while (almost a year) since i did.
about the heat pipe, my 7600GT got a THERMALTAKE SCHOONER FANLESS VGA HEATPIPE COOLER
on my CPU i believe its GLACIAL TECH 7210
3 fans working on ~2.6 RPM each to cool the case.

I've lowered my FSB and all the rest to stock. running on 38C ATM.

If its been on there a year, are these temps just now starting to raise up?

Maybe its time to reinstall the HSF with some fresh thermal compound..

crosshairs said:
If its been on there a year, are these temps just now starting to raise up?

Maybe its time to reinstall the HSF with some fresh thermal compound..

I'm new in OC'ing so never checked the temps, started to OC last week :D

and what is HSF? (sorry for dumb Qs)
how much time do thermal compound last?

Arctic Silver has a PDF file on their site about how to apply a BB sized amount to cover the sink properly. If you don't mess with CPU changes a lot then consider Arctic Silver Ceramic, it's not supposed to need reapplication every year!

Thanks for your answers.. I'll put some Arctic Silver Ceramic and try overclocking again.

Back