• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual-Core Xeon System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brint

Classic Senior Dude
Hey gang. It has been awhile since my last build (Q1 2004), and now the time has come to go the never ending fields, hunting for new computer parts.
The plan is to continue using my custom made watercooling setup, in hops of it being sufficient enough to cool down the new system.
I am hoping to reach somewhere around 3.8-4.0 Ghz with this system.
Well enough small talk, here it is.

Motherboard: Abit AW9D-MAX
Graphics: Inno3D GeForce 8800GTS
Harddrive: Two Westerndigital WD1600YS in Raid 0
Processor: Intel Dual-Core Xeon 3060 2.4 GHz
Memory: G.Skill Extreme Series 2 x 1 GB F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
H2O Coolerhead: Swiftec Apogee GTX

So, dose it look terrible or am I good to go?

Last edited:
looks good to me. but what psu are you planning on using?

also, i wouldn't get your hopes up too much. 3.8-4.0ghz 24/7 stable is asking a LOT of even the very best watercooling. i would say 3.5-3.8 would be more likely.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
looks good to me. but what psu are you planning on using?

also, i wouldn't get your hopes up too much. 3.8-4.0ghz 24/7 stable is asking a LOT of even the very best watercooling. i would say 3.5-3.8 would be more likely.

I am using an Antec True Power 550Watt. I am using it now in my current main rig. I believe that it will do the trick.

As for overclocking the new system. I would still be happy @ 3,5-3,8 :beer: But I am hoping that I will be able to make it to 4 Ghz.

you might be able to do some brief benches at 4ghz, but don't count on it 24/7. ;)

that psu i think will need some adapters. it has a 20pin connector for the mobo, if it is anything like my trupower 480 (it powered a ic7-max3 as well ;)). you will need a 24pin connector for the new mobo.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
you might be able to do some brief benches at 4ghz, but don't count on it 24/7. ;)

that psu i think will need some adapters. it has a 20pin connector for the mobo, if it is anything like my trupower 480 (it powered a ic7-max3 as well ;)). you will need a 24pin connector for the new mobo.

Okay, thanks for the heads up with the ATX pin converter. That is one thing I didn't think of.

The water cooling I am using, is keeping my Prescott [email protected] maxing out at 65c. With a cpu like this Xeon I am planning on buying, I am hoping that the water system will keep it below 50c.

Back