• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How well do you think an 8800GTS can run Xbox360 or PS3 graphics???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Un-Kut

i saw couple of PS3 demo games the other day while browsing at Best Buys and the graphics are amazing... do you guys think a 8800gts can handle those type of visuals at a decent FPS???

Considering that the usual resolution that I have seen the GTS running at is 1900x1200 flawlessly, and thats almost exactly 1080p. So yes, very easily :D

Think of it this way, the gpu in the PS3 is basically a G70, so it is obvious that the G80 is faster, but ps3 developers can optimize for one chip while computer game makers have to make it so it would work on many different cards.

I second AVG. Think about it, the xbox had a geforce 3 variant, a first gen DX 8.1 part. However in Black, Doom 3 and Half-life 2 devs managed to crank out graphics the equal of what early DX 9.0 games and hardware could do. The 8800 GTS may keep up with 360 and PS3 gfx for a while, but give it a year and the consoles will have pulled ahead of the first gen DX10 cards.

Consoles have a lot more room to expand on there GPU's then PC's due. As AVG said. While the Console is only 1 set of hardware, software companies can optimize it to that exact same spec. As well no OS to interfere with performance on any part of the system as well gives it less overhead and more room to push through.

The consoles are quiet newish so second gen games are coming on the X360 so you should see more graphics and visuals compared to the launch games, as well PS3 is just in launch game mode right now so maybe by X-Mas time we'll start seeing a lot more of its potential power behind the chips.

Summary:
8800GTS is where it will be performance wise, drivers will help out some but its pretty much locked in. The consoles have room to expand and is possible that it can show alot more potential.

Avg said:
Think of it this way, the gpu in the PS3 is basically a G70, so it is obvious that the G80 is faster, but ps3 developers can optimize for one chip while computer game makers have to make it so it would work on many different cards.

QFT.

Well the PS3 is not based around the GPU so simply saying it has a G70 is not fair. The Cell CPU was originaly designed to handle all graphical calculations and even though it is no longer intended for that use, it can drastically help take visual loads of the GPU. So unlike a PC that would be bottleknecked, the GPU in the PS3 is really not. Anyway yes, I think it could handle modern games just fine. Considering though the developers are saying they are not nearly using the system to it's fullest, it may have trouble with future games. (Again, Motorstorm using less then 20% of SPEs power)

Back