Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Reminder: Monday is Wiretap the Internet Day

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-14-07, 08:59 PM Thread Starter   #1
OcX

Reminder: Monday is Wiretap the Internet Day

Quote:
May 14th is the official deadline for cable modem companies, DSL providers, broadband over powerline, satellite internet companies and some universities to finish wiring up their networks with FBI-friendly surveillance gear, to comply with the FCC's expanded interpretation of the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act.
- Quoted from Source

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...er_monday.html

See! You thought it was Lag, it was the Fuzz!

14.4k Modem
OcX is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-14-07, 09:58 PM   #2
Radical

My school did work on part of our wireless network today. I wonder if it had anything to do with this.. . Not really sure why "FBI-friendly surveillance gear" is necessary, but I guess we'll have to live with it.
Radical is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-14-07, 10:30 PM   #3
MRD

10 Year Badge

I have mixed feelings on this. It sucks to think of them snooping on us, but at the same time, there really is a threat to this country.

Personally, I'd like an assurance that any information obtained from these wiretaps could only be used to prosecute those that are a threat to this country, i.e. catching terrorists, spies, arms dealers, or other similarly nasty people. Our tax dollars really shouldn't be used to spy on us to catch college kids swapping mp3's. The RIAA, MPAA, and Microsoft can pay to do their own dirty work, and they should have to get warrants and demonstrate probable cause before they can do any snooping. The threat to the country of a pirated mp3 isn't sufficient to justify search w/o a warrant or probable cause.
MRD is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-07, 11:42 AM   #4
freakdiablo

I think its just a set up so the fbi can get free broadband

Joking. I think its an ok idea, I bet they would kick ass at CS (dont worry, Im not that dense, I know what it means.)

Main: MOBO: MSI P67A-G45, CPU: i7 2600k w/ VenX (4.4ghz @ 1.33v), RAM: 2x8gb Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series DDR3 1600, GFX: Galaxy GTX670 GC, PSU: OCZ 1250w ZX, CASE: Corsair 500R, HDD: 120gb Samsung 840, WD 4TB Black
Quick, Cheap, and Dirty NAS: Sempron 140, Hyper 212+ with 800RPM Scythe Slipstreams, 4gb ram, 5x2tb Hitachis in RAID5, Seasonic SSR-360GP, Antec 300, Biostar Tpower motherboard, APC BR700G UPS, Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H router (Upgrade in the works)
Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X220 HTPC: Zotac ZBOX AD04-U w/ 6GB Samsung 1333mhz, 64GB Adata Premier Pro SP900
Protobox-1: Raspberry Pi Mod. B Rev. 2, 2.5" LCD, 12v 1A PSU, Aluminum RatShack project box, GPIO breakout board

Project 1UP || Interested in the performance of the new AMD AM1 socket? Ask me, I'll test it!
Bored of games? Nothing good on internet radio or youtube? Dont waste your GHz, find them before they find us. SETI
freakdiablo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-07, 12:01 PM   #5
bchur83

10 Year Badge

I can confirm this is true. I work at an ISP, and in the past few months, we have been giving info to a company who will be soon putting in equipment that will be able to monitor all Broadband traffic for the FBI. If you ask me, it is rediculous, but the FBI has to be able to know everything that is going on. As far as I know, they can only tap the line with a warrant to do so. It isnt an all the time monitoring thing of everyone.

Main Rig: Asus P8Z68 Pro Gen3 * Core i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz * 8GB (2x 4GB) Mushkin Blackline PC3-1600 * GeForce GTX 560TI 448 1280MB * 6TB Storage * LG BD/RW * Lian-Li PC-V2000B * Dell 24" 2407FPW & Asus 24" VS248H
Backup Rig: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P * C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2Ghz * 4GB (2x 2GB) G-Skill PC2-8000 * Sapphire Radeon 4870 512MB * 320GB Storage * Samsung SH-S203N DVD+/-RW * Apex Full Tower Case * 2x Dell 19" LCD
HTPC: Abit IP35PRO * C2D E6600 @ Stock * 2GB G-Skill PC6400 * Geforce 8600GT 256MB * 640GB Storage * Lite On 16x DVD-ROM * 55" Samsung 1080p 3D LED LCD via HDMI

Media Server: DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D * A64 3800+ X2 * 1GB PC3200 * Powercolor X800XL * 14TB Storage * Lite On 16x DVD-RW

Heatware
bchur83 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-07, 02:01 PM   #6
greyharte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchur83
I can confirm this is true. I work at an ISP, and in the past few months, we have been giving info to a company who will be soon putting in equipment that will be able to monitor all Broadband traffic for the FBI. If you ask me, it is rediculous, but the FBI has to be able to know everything that is going on. As far as I know, they can only tap the line with a warrant to do so. It isnt an all the time monitoring thing of everyone.

for now .....
greyharte is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-07, 04:51 PM   #7
Asr940

Quote:
for now
Take the time to read the Patriot Act, you might be amazed but even there, in the document that everyone complains about as violating your civil rights, there are a heck of a lot of loops the government has to jump through before it can do anything.
Asr940 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-07, 05:21 PM   #8
rainless
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr940
Take the time to read the Patriot Act, you might be amazed but even there, in the document that everyone complains about as violating your civil rights, there are a heck of a lot of loops the government has to jump through before it can do anything.
...and they've become increasingly adept at "hoop-jumping."

Asus P5Q Pro 2002m @ 515x9 .63x 1.52
OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB DDR2 5-4-4-18 @ 2.18v w/OCZ XTC Ram Cooler
Corsair 750TX PSU
Sparkle 260 GTX (65nm, 216) 696c 1512s 999mem
BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202
rainless is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-07, 08:53 PM   #9
Malpine Walis
Disabled

And this is not really that new. It is just that the FBI gets to play in the sandbox now where before, it was exclusively the NSA who could do this. The FBI will still need a warrant to act, of that I am sure.

The NSA for their part needs no warrant because they do not spy on Americans. They operate the program jointly with the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, who all have similar laws about domestic snooping. So we all spy on each other's citizens and share the data so that nobody gets dirty hands over the matter.

Everyone say hello to Echelon, the system that does this and be sure to wish them a nice big nuclear weapons of a hello when you do. BTW, the use content filtering so I just got this thread tagged by that.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-07, 10:13 PM   #10
Remove

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpine Walis

Everyone say hello to Echelon, the system that does this and be sure to wish them a nice big nuclear weapons of a hello when you do. BTW, the use content filtering so I just got this thread tagged by that.
Saves me time by not having to report it to my station chief.

HEATWARE
Remove is offline SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-16-07, 11:29 PM   #11
JustChill

Quote:
I have mixed feelings on this. It sucks to think of them snooping on us, but at the same time, there really is a threat to this country.

Personally, I'd like an assurance that any information obtained from these wiretaps could only be used to prosecute those that are a threat to this country, i.e. catching terrorists, spies, arms dealers, or other similarly nasty people. Our tax dollars really shouldn't be used to spy on us to catch college kids swapping mp3's. The RIAA, MPAA, and Microsoft can pay to do their own dirty work, and they should have to get warrants and demonstrate probable cause before they can do any snooping. The threat to the country of a pirated mp3 isn't sufficient to justify search w/o a warrant or probable cause.
Well Said and

X2

GTX 260
ADATA S599 128GB SSD (OS and programs)
Corsair R60 SSD external USB3 (quick data transfer)
2 Cavair Black RAID 0 (short term storage)

1 1.5 TB green (long term storage and backup)
Win 7 X64 Enterprise
JustChill is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-17-07, 12:01 AM   #12
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr940
How many wire taps were done illegaly by the current administration ?

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Mr.Guvernment is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.