• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

? On Seagate HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lharp

Ok just askin if there any good and or have known issues . Think I got one on the fritz ...

Thanks all

i have had a harddrive fail from every manufacturer...then i also have a stack of old harddrives that are from the 2.1gb-4.3gb era...still runnin strong and chuggin along

I have two and I like them. I had one of them knocked off a counter onto a tile floor and it still works fine.

You should download this tool from Seagate to find what the deal is.

To generalize, its rather difficult to get accurate answers by asking "Are drives from manufacturer "X" any good?". You'd be more likely to get better results by asking, for example, "Are there any known issues with IBM's Deskstar 75GXP?". Including the manufacturer and model would lend more accurate answers - every manufacturer spits out some bad apples at times, so everyone is bound to have a bad experience with a drive at some point.

Last edited:
smokie mcpott said:
i also have a stack of old harddrives that are from the 2.1gb-4.3gb era...still runnin strong and chuggin along

This thing is a seagate :)

44.7 MB
3600 rpm
40 ms seek​

Still got dos 6.22 and win3.11 on it.

Attachments

• Hpim1181.jpg
    Hpim1181.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Murdochs_mad said:

44.7 MB
3600 rpm
40 ms seek​

LOL...i just threw out 2 85MB harddrives a couple of weeks ago...still in working order, but i just couldnt justify wasting the space for them

I essentially work in a OEM production environment, where me and another tech build anywhere from 10-20 PCs a day. We use mostly Seagate HDDs, and for a good reason. We have less failures from Seagate HDDs than any other manufacturer. I'm not saying the other ones are bad, but I think Seagates are the most reliable and durable.

I just wish they made something that would compete with Raptors!

Murdochs_mad said:

44.7 MB
3600 rpm
40 ms seek​

RIght back at you!

49gb 5400rpm =P this thing hurt my finger just trying to lift it LOL

My seagates have been flawless. the one in my dell has lived 4-5 years without issue....
my 7200.10's are quiet and fast as can be....

Attachments

• IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 75
imposter said:
49gb 5400rpm =P this thing hurt my finger just trying to lift it LOL

That thing is collosal :eek:
The one I have uses a very large stepping motor to move the heads in a straight line instead of a swinging motion like HD's do today.

As to the original Q, any seagates I've had have been reliable to the last, the one in the pic is testament to that. The only thing is, I personnaly find seagates noisier that other manufacturers.

well harddrives can get damaged if it was shipped to you. i have gotten a few die drives that i bought new. once i got goo working seagate drives they havent had any issues. IMO the 7200.10's are the best drives seagate has put out yet for the home segment. i dont touch scsi to costly, i bet they have really nice ones though.

Back