• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual CPU beast!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WedgeWhacko

You plug in a Compaq Proliant 4000,

The processors are 266mhz and it only has 512 meg of ram but it is a good server!

Pfffttthhh

My Buddy gave me this and when I flip the power on it dims the lights.

I was thinking this would be a great piece to the farm...lol problem is it seems only 1 processor is running..

My wife wants it outta the house fast...
it's a rackmount and once I find the damn camera I'll post pics.

Should I donate it?

I must say I love the scsi array it fires up and clicks pretty intense...kinda sounds like the flux capacitor without any flux:p

While old stuff like that looks and sounds really neat, It is really not worth the power bill it will make for folding or crunching, really. It is just too slow and old to be much use nowdays. I don't know if it could make deadlines for folding or Seti.

I assume it's a P2 or Pentium Pro based machine and lacks SSE. It won't make the prefered deadline on any WU and will miss the final deadline on some. It isn't capable of contributing anything to FAH.

I actually agree with chasr. The power it uses to power all that hardware isn't worth it. When a PS3 or modern hardware can produce so many flops/watt a P2 won't even be able to compare at all. Any sort of new hardware will probably be in the thousands of times more efficient and you would have to leave a P2 on for probably 2 weeks to fold something a PS3 could fold in maybe an hour or less. It's just not worth it and I could see why your wife wouldn't want it. The only thing I could really think of something like that being useful is for either like say a smoothwall box or a samba/webserver/file server. Sorry to harsh your mellow but it wouldn't be good for folding.

Your ALL Wrong.

All he needs to do is change out the vacuum tubes and the Hi-point magnet
field coils along with the directional, manual, control levers, reverse the polarity
to the mobo and he'll be popping corn in no time at all!!

Oh, sorry... yeah. Not too good for Folding though.

:p

WarriorII said:
Your ALL Wrong.

field coils along with the directional, manual, control levers, reverse the polarity

:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D

Sounds like a candidate for a museum. Man, I thought the dual 486 server I have (not running) was antique! :D:D:D

It would be fun to play with the scsi array, though!

Get "Doc" to upgrade it! With his improved "flux capacitor", it should make a dandy time machine. :D

Yeah, seriously my 2GHZ BArton isn't even any good for folding, it takes nearly a week to complete a WU, that thing wouldn't complete a WU by the deadline.

WarriorII said:
Your ALL Wrong.

O.K., but how's that going to affect the plasma conduits?

ihrsetrdr said:
O.K., but how's that going to affect the plasma conduits?

It's relitive to the angle of the dangle.

and has short burst effects on the emitter coils too.

Last edited:
FudgeNuggets said:
Yeah, seriously my 2GHZ BArton isn't even any good for folding, it takes nearly a week to complete a WU, that thing wouldn't complete a WU by the deadline.
Ummmm that seems a little odd. Mine at 2.1 will complete a WU in 3 days. Patty melts, Ribo's, even villins. It even folds faster than both of the Celly D's that I have here, and both well over what my barton is running. Back to the subject at hand, make sure to check the BIOS bearings and CPU Socket fluid in that board. I hear when they get that old, they have a tendency to start leaking. And here I was thinking that Time Travel was nothing that would happen in out lifetime. And also WII, I didn't know the angle of the dangle was so important on one of those rigs. Learn something new every day.

WarriorII said:
It's relitive to the angle of the dangle.

and has short burst effects on the emitter coils too.
Readjust the field coils, plasma flows along the constrictions and is ejected at one half timing interval after the constriction frequency. Be sure to clean the nacells when you are done. Also, leaving tachion emissions behind may effect your next warp due to buildup in the containment vessle. After warp set the core and plasma injectors to the 69 position.

Back