• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost Planet DX9 Demo Crashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
So I finally managed to get the damn thing downloaded and installed. The damn thing takes like 20 minutes to install! What the deuce is that?!

After which, I got a DLL error on start. I tracked down a copy of the DLL and dropped it where it was supposed to go, restarted, and fired up the game again.

Much to my chagrin, it errors out before it even starts! There's no error message, either. Just that stupid 'Send Error Report' window. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, checked my drivers, updated Windows, raised the voltages on my processor and RAM (thinking it was my overclock), set everything back to stock and tried it again, and it still doesn't work!

I really want to play this game but I can't get it to work.

Anybody else have this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

AMD Mobile Barton @ 2300 Mhz
1024MB of Samsung PC3200 (has been checked with Memtest86 within the last week. Checked fine)
BBA Radeon x850 XTPE not overclocked.
DFI Infinity NF2
Maxtor 160GB SATA I drive
Windows XP

Everything else I have plays just fine. From HL2 to Supreme Commander. This is driving me insane!

I thought that lost planet didnt work without pixel shader 3, which the r4xx series does not have.

I didn't know there was a DX-9 version. If I knew where to download it I can see if I can replicate the issue.:)

when I try to play it on my computer, note a r480 core card just like his, it says the following:

"Fatal Error: Unsuported pixel shader version 2.0"

I dont think it can get anymore straight forward than that.

Last edited:
I don't think you have the hardware to support the game. It's pixel shader 3.

I got the same DLL errors. I found the xinput1_3.sll and I updated directx to fix those. Now when I launch it I have no keyboard?

This demo is buggy as hell!

I'll try a reinstall later.

BossBorot said:
when I try to play it on my computer, note a r480 core card just like his, it says the following:

"Fatal Error: Unsuported pixel shader version 2.0"

I dont think it can get anymore straight forward than that.

I didn't get that error. Figures that this game is PS3. Feh.

Looks like I'll have to wait until I upgrade to play it. :(

thanks for posting the link, I didn't know there was a PC demo.

This game looks great, my machine is showing it's age as I have settings just a scotch above medium, but it still looks really good, love the blur effects on motion. I must say the weapon sounds need some adjusting, the guns seems flat, no woofer at all on gun fire.

Game looks great, but does anyone else feel like the controls are 'sluggish'. It's like my character is half a second behind my keyboard or something? Is it my system or is this how the game is supposed to be :shrug:

I never played the 360 version.

Something must be wrong. With my rig in the sig and all eye candy turned off (just like I was benching FutureMark) its still sluggish and very choppy. It might be due to the type of SLI mode I have it in "Force split frame rendering." I will experiment with the other 3 options I have which are: 1) Force alternative frame rendering 1, 2) Force alternative frame rendering 2 3) Single GPU---which I won't be using~;)

*edit ForceWare 88 version 158.19

Last edited:
Demo would not run on XP x64 . Have yet to try Vista x64 . Eh ... guess I did not want to try it anyway , :p

from what I have read so far this game is very poorly optimized and turning off features give little to no performance gain and in some cases make the demo perform worse :confused:

BossBorot said:
from what I have read so far this game is very poorly optimized and turning off features give little to no performance gain and in some cases make the demo perform worse :confused:

Well hopefully they will have all that worked out for official release. If not... I just won't buy it. Plenty of other cool games out there ;)

Back