• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!!!!! Low Power 3D Mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoCalDJ

Registered
So I just flashed the bios of my EVGA 7950gt to an EVGA 7950gt Super Clocked or whatever it's called. Basically I was hoping for a better OC and it worked wonderfully. Now onto my issue.

I'm able to run at 600/1600 no problems on this card, BUT when I run 650/1600 I seem to have the card switching into low power mode. I'm not sure why it would do this @ 650 and not @ 600. Voltages aren't changing, it's the same at 600 & 650 (1.45vcore in the bios).

Now I'm not 100% sure this is what's happening because I'm not too sure of the stipulations that low power 3D mode comes into effect. I'm read it's when the temps get too high or your psu can't handle the load. But again I don't see how I could be drawing too much power @ 650 and not @ 600 I'd assume I'd see signs of instabilities @ 600 if the psu was the problem.

So a few more details on what's happening with the card. I get this in FEAR and in 3Dmark06. The screen will lockup for a second, then continue about 10-15 seconds later.

When I play FEAR, I run two monitors and on the second screen I'm watching the temps/clock speeds. I've watched the card drop into low power clocks (600/1500) and I've also even watched it drop into 2D mode, (550/1450).

ANY ideas on what the heck might be happening would be appreciated. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this and just can't seem to get answers so I'm reaching out to the forums lookin for some help.

A bit of system info in the sig...

If I'm understanding your post right... this problem didn't arise until you flashed the cards bios, right? If so, why not flash it back to the proper one? There could be something even just slightly - different on your card than the superclocked version... even something that isn't visually noticable.
Have you tried re-installing all of your graphics drivers when you re-flashed? I would re-install EVERYTHING after doing that, Windows, everything... but that's just me... it's probably not 100% necessary to do that, but then again, I rarely run into any problems like that. Hope this helps!

Well thats the thing it runs just fine @ 600/1600, with the cards bios flashed. It's just a bit odd that with the core ramped up a little more that it drops into low power mode.

I didn't reinstall the drivers but I'll do that now and see if it helps.

Ok, a bit more info. I've been playing around with this today and trying to get to the bottom of it. So here's what I've found.

It's not the psu, I unplugged my optical drives which should have let some extra power in for the gpu getting power deprived for some reason.

It is still throttling, but it may have something to do with temps. Right now I can do just fine with my case door off. keeping temps under 70c no artifacts, but the second I put the case door on temps get up to about 75c sometimes higher....now there are still no artifacts but it will go into the low power mode when temps get some what high.

So I'm still trying to figure this out.....sigh....

Back