• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WoW at 70, Where's the Payoff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Springbok

So I just hit 70 on my main toon in WoW, I bought the trial pack back in November and played pretty religiously at first. I got the game after my trial period was up and then invested in the expansion when I was lvl 58. Now I've finally worked my way up to 70 and what reward do I get?

I have to come up with 1100 gold to buy a flying mount just so I can reach the new dungeons. I mean, for the first time in the game I managed to save up 600 gold last week, and I'm supposed to be able to drop twice that? I worked my *** off to get a sweet level 70 character and there's absolutely no payoff, instead they just make you work even harder.

I could potentially work on my alt's skills and try make money off the crafting system, but I don't want to play early level areas again when I've got a lvl 70! I'm not interested in buying gold off the net, it's unethical and I really can't see myself advocating spam. I'm seriously considering quitting the game over this problem since it shouldn't even exist. Why do they have to charge ungodly amount for riding skills? :bang head

/rant

edit: 1000 gold goes for about $70 as far as I know

Springbok said:
there's absolutely no payoff, instead they just make you work even harder.

I stayed almost a year after hitting 60 until it started feeling like a job. Knew it was time to bail at that point. WoW is a carrot on the stick type game. There is always some item just out of reach or that takes time commitments to aquire.
However back when I was playing, harvesting, crafting, and working the AH could net you some coin in a fairly short time

I played for a bit up until lvl40 and lost interest - just too much "go kill 20 boars" quests for my liking, and it got very repetative. I desperatly *tried* to get into the game, but I just couldn't.

However a buddy from work plays almost every night, and I know he rakes in the gold. He had his mount in no time - I think he does a lot of crafting or something, all I know is he sells things he makes for quite a bit of gold - I'm assuming that's the only way you'll manage to make that kind of cash in a short time.

I had a char at 70 for 1.5 weeks before I got bored AND I was even in a raiding guild. so boring.

What type of payoff did you expect? It is a grinding game, reaching the higher levels allows you to change your grind from XP to gear or PVP Ranks but it is still all a grind. I stopped before the expansion came out myself, but at 60 I know basically nothing new came except you joined dedicated raiding or PVP guilds instead of just a general one.

Redstone said:
WoW is a carrot on the stick type game. There is always some item just out of reach or that takes time commitments to aquire.

pretty much

as for the op... once you hit max level, it's an entirly different game. Get into a raiding guild and raid.

Another World of Warcraft thread...

I'm seeing a trend in WoW since BC expansion has hit, now that everyone has reached the point I did 1 month ago.

The games dead, the grind is no longer worth the effort. The people are starting to wake to a "moment of clarity" similar to what happens to alcoholics that finally break the binge. I applaud this change, and welcome it with open arms.

The Realm Forums don't lie, countless "Say Goodbye" and "XXX Guild is Recruiting" threads are in record number. People are waking up, and looking elsewhere. They are starting to crawl from under the 800lb Guerrilla and seeing just what they spent all their time doing for the last 2 years.

And Blizzard did it. GG Blizzard.

Gotta love these threads...

But as far as the gold goes, I made 3000 gold from 60-70 just from drops and quest rewards with no real effort in making gold. Just kinda happened.

And as far as the end game of 70, it is a lot better than it was at 60. Blizz reduced the raid number from 40 to 25 to make end game encounters require more effort from each raider. Instead of needing 1 tank, 15 healers, and 24 DPSers with lots of room for error, you need 25 raiders who come prepared and play their class well.

Are a lot of people quiting WoW? Yeah, I think so. After playing any game for so long it does tend to get boring. I think I played CS for about 3 years before I quit. I sucked at it too. I still play WoW and still enjoy it.

--pak

I know I'm making a mistake by trying the 10 day trial BC Expansion considering I haven't played since last fall after investing 1.5 years into the game. If you are a perfectionist...this game is almost impossible to put down because you always know that someone will be better...so you keep playing. Take your peers' advice (even though I'm currently not following it) and ditch the game. Once you leave it for a while, it tends to lose it's appeal the next time around; I'm pretty sure that's how I'll feel about this trial period. As for gold...I was always poor, but I beg you to NEVER spend your hard earned money on fictional gold coins, only a fool would do that.

I will always say that it always depends on the people you play with. I agree though, its kinda feeling like a job just to go do stuff. Having alot more fun playing Titans Quest in fact lmao :D

Well some people get bored quickly with things...

I myself have been playing WoW since Open beta, while I could/should have 6 or more lvl 70's by now I slacked off for the first 2 years or so & only lvl'd my main & then really only played him.

Finally started on a couple of my other toons. When BC came out I quickly power lvl'd my Main (Feral Druid) to 70 in about 9 days. Then I worked on my Balance druid & got him to 70 in about 10 1/2 days.

I had Created a Draneai (sp? forgot how to spell it) Shaman once I got BC installed shortly after midnight on launch day. So I started to lvl him a little & then continued to lvl my Lock which is now 61 1/2 which I'm only going to play with the wife so he'll lvl very slowly, which sucks but oh well I promised.lol

Also have a lvl 30 Rogue & again my Shaman, going to hold off on the Rogue as I wasn't really digging him...Shaman is pretty cool so far, similiar to Druids.

In any case I've been around this game several times & I've yet to get bored with the game. There is so much to do in the game...and I'm still having loads of fun...though I am getting rather ****ed that my Waste Walker gloves have not dropped off the last boss in Shattered Balls and I'm about Exhaulted with Honor Hold now with as many runs as I've done in there...:bang head

My guild has been working on Kara a little though we are small guild & still awaiting more people to get to 70 & get key'd. The one thing I do hate about WoW is:

Farming for anything, gold or otherwise...

While questing in outland at 70 you make bank but there are only so many quests. finishing up Netherstorm & Shadowmoon Valley on my Feral I made about 1900 in gold give or take. So I figure I should get about 800 more gold by doing Netherstorm on my Balance Druid.

Anyhow don't tell me about a measly 1100 for a normal Epic that is no prob...but I'm after gold for Epic Flight Training x 3 + 1 mount (for my lock as I don't need the mount with my Druids), that's going to be roughly 16000 gold...now that sucks...b/c I've never been rich in the game really other then when I have found a Epic world drop which so far since BC I've only found 1 (Blade of Wizardary) and sold it for 3000.

Crappy part is lvl'ing crafting professions on 4 Characters, lvl'ing 2 of them & gearing them etc is a pain in the arse. As well as supporting my wifes characters as she is not a gifted gamer.lol Yeah, yeah it's easy to say just don't spend any money, but that is easier said then done.

But I think I'm at a point on all my characters now where I can lay off spending money on mats & such for lvl'ing my professions & work soley on farming for Flight Mount Training...but still will be a while before I can make enough for 1 Epic Training let alone 2 or more.

Anyhow sorry for the long windedness of my post but it's 5:30am & I've been up for 20+ hours & getting off work now... But I'm happy & enjoying the game over all & will continue to play for at least another year or more, or until Blizz does something stupid like SOE did with SWG's.lol

Well I still fire up D2:LOD on occasion, along with countless other older games, and I'm not "bored" with them yet - so is it boredom, or is it perhaps something else?

I *tried* to get into it - like I said I played till lvl40 and had a great group of friends, but I just found myself loathing it - especially when I saw the charge every month on my credit card.

Yeah... I just started playing and the game isnt attractive to me at all.. My friends got me into buying it and now that I do have it it seems they wont help me level at all. Their in the 20s and im 17 or so.. But.. I need a more group orinted MMO.. Like guild wars.. I hate the solo quests.. which is basically all the quests for the lower leveled people..going around killing 10 turkies to get a piece of enchanted leather.. big deal.

Well everyone isn't going to like every game. That is why there are options. Just because I like it doesn't mean you are going to like it. If you don't like it, no big deal. I happen to like the game and play it. I also happen to not like any Battle field game so far. Tried them all and they just feel impersonal to me for being such a big game. So I get bored after a few minutes. But hey, that is just me.

--pak

WoW is like any other game..........you must progress and get better in order to beat the game. Of the MILLION'S of players, no one has beat it yet, so I keep playing. I also enjoy the Lore and friends I have made.

SeasonalEclipse said:
I need a more group orinted MMO.. Like guild wars..

Guild Wars? The game is beatable by just using AI henchmen and heroes. Infact, thats what most people do because they dont like forming groups.

I maxxed out toons in EQ, SWG, GW, EQ2, WoW and probably a couple mmorpgs I'm forgetting and found myself wondering the same thing every time.

If you would have posted this thread two weeks ago I had nearly 2k gold on my 60 rogue but I cancelled the account, not that there's all that much chance you were on my server anyways I guess.

My friends would say "OMG!1 U hav ur epikz! why r u canceling?!1" to which I reply. "Because now I log in and stand there ignoring whispers for free stuff until I decide to help someone do something inane and then log out."

When BC was released they said "Teh greenz r uber! u shold play again!" but unlike them I know the greens are only good until the next $40 expansion.

Wow was tremendous fun for 60 levels and even a little while after, and it's a great mmo, but if you ask me I think you played for 10 levels too many. I'm starting to think that "addicted" feeling is only in your very first mmo (EQ for me) as every one I've played since then I simply max out a toon, experience the end game raid zones, get my good gear and get out before the flood of expansions starts. I'm hoping that one day I find another one that I just cant stop playing but so far not yet. :(

Springbok said:
So I just hit 70 on my main toon in WoW, I bought the trial pack back in November and played pretty religiously at first. I got the game after my trial period was up and then invested in the expansion when I was lvl 58. Now I've finally worked my way up to 70 and what reward do I get?

I have to come up with 1100 gold to buy a flying mount just so I can reach the new dungeons. I mean, for the first time in the game I managed to save up 600 gold last week, and I'm supposed to be able to drop twice that? I worked my *** off to get a sweet level 70 character and there's absolutely no payoff, instead they just make you work even harder.

I could potentially work on my alt's skills and try make money off the crafting system, but I don't want to play early level areas again when I've got a lvl 70! I'm not interested in buying gold off the net, it's unethical and I really can't see myself advocating spam. I'm seriously considering quitting the game over this problem since it shouldn't even exist. Why do they have to charge ungodly amount for riding skills? :bang head

/rant

edit: 1000 gold goes for about $70 as far as I know
lol your 70 and you don't even have 1000g?

Back