• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How is this set up for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malware

Registered
hey.. i'm new around here and got a quick question as I'm thinking about OCing my PC.
The specs are:

GA-965P-S3 mobo
Core2Duo E6400 2.13 Ghz
2x(2 x 1GB) G.Skill DDR2 800
nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB

So, what do you guys think?
How far do you think I can go with this setup?

Btw, my CPU fan is stock and I have another 3 case fans + the PSU's fan which is of the size of the PSU sucking the air from inside the case as well...

Thanks guys..

ps.: I've had this machine since January, but with 1 GB of RAM only.. I'm tossing it back into its box and am bringing out of the store those 2 kits.

might be able to get 3.2ghz stable. if you really got the cpu around january it should be a B2 stepping e6400. in which case it might oc higher then 3.2ghz.

Yep, you've got a B2 which means it's a Conroe, not Allendale. You can stop the CPU speed from changing by disabling a few things in the BIOS. Disable C1E and Speed Step.

inkfx said:
Yep, you've got a B2 which means it's a Conroe, not Allendale. You can stop the CPU speed from changing by disabling a few things in the BIOS. Disable C1E and Speed Step.
Is it good to be a Conroe?
and is there any difference between speed varying and not varying the speed?

Also, is it worth it to overclock?
is there any specific guide that could help me?

I'm a computer enthusiast but when it comes to hardware I'm pretty much a noob and would hate to melt my 4 months old CPU.. uahauhauha

Thanks for the help guys..

Yeah the Conroes have shown to be slightly better overclockers than the Allendales. The slowdown is mainly for low power consumption. I'd rather have the full speed 24/7. Worth it to overclock? Definitely. I found going from 2.13 to 3.2 was a pretty noticeable difference. These C2Ds are great performers and I think have really surprised us all.

You know... I have loved this computer since day 1 and now my feelings are only getting better... is there anything higher than love? uahauahuahauahuahauhau

hUMANbEATbOX said:
running C2D's at stock clocks is a sin. repent now! change your evil ways!
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
this is the funniest thing I heard today...
you guys just made my day and I shall overclock my computer this weekend as soon as I install the memories and re-install windows...

Back