• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thin wall Tygon collapse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ARCJr

Last time I redid my HTPC, I had ordered an extra foot of Tygon, as I knew I'd need more tubing. Well, I guess I didn't read close enough, as it had a much thinner wall than the rest of my tubing. I installed it anyway, as it didn't have any tight bends or other stresses.

Well now, a couple of months later, I went in two swap a hard drive, and found the thinwall Tygon had virtually collapsed! I think the power of the MCP350 is the only thing that saved my rig. Is there any way to hold the tubing in a non collapsed shape? Hose clamp, zip tie, etc?

well if you hose clamp it you could put more pressure on the wall and mold the wall into a circle (yes?) with zip ties you don't really get what you are looking for. at least in my experience. have you thought about coolsleeves? its spiral wrap for your tubing and it does a damm good job at keeping the tubing a perfect shape at almost any bend radius

with thin wall tubing you are suppose to use coolsleeves. I'm using clearflex 60 1/2" id 5/8" od with the coolsleeves 625 the idea is it has a cleaner look

Ah. I had never intended to purchase the thinwall, so I hadn't done any research into it. I assume you can find this "coolsleeves" at the usual suspects (Petra's, Jab-Tech, etc.)?

Edit: One more question, do you have to remove the tubing to install the coolsleeves?

Last edited:
yea you can get it at jabtech. I dont see why you couldn't install with tubing still on it comes in 40" pieces at jabtech but if you already have a kink it might be a good idea to remove tubing first

In that case, I'll try getting the coolsleeve on without removing the tube. If I have to pull the tube, drain and refill to install the sleeve, I might as well get some thickwalled tubing.

How will coolsleeves prevent the tubing from collapsingd due to the internal suction?

I mistakenly bought some thinwalled stuff once, and I'll never do it again. Go with the thick walled Tygon.

aaronjb said:
How will coolsleeves prevent the tubing from collapsingd due to the internal suction?

I mistakenly bought some thinwalled stuff once, and I'll never do it again. Go with the thick walled Tygon.

Here is my 1/2"id 5/8"od with smartcoils.
DSC01110.jpg

You will need to remove the tube in order to put coolsleeves on. I switched fro 1/2"id 5/8"od to 1/2"id 3/4"od and dropped the smartcoils. Now i make the same bend with no kinks.

you can use zipties, or whatever kind of clamps you have to do the same thing as the coil bit. there was a time a few years ago when those coil things didnt exist, and you just had to use a bunch of clamps around the bend to keep it circular.

I have seen and tried zipties myself, work to an extent. I have also seen solid rings that you slide over the tubing as well. But i don't know exactly what they used.

ARCJr said:
I installed it anyway, as it didn't have any tight bends or other stresses.

I'm thinking that ARCJr isn't talking about a bend.

Coolsleeves can certainly prevent crimping (as can zip ties, or a few hose clamps). But on a straight run, how will coolsleeves help prevent thin-walled tubing from being "sucked in" due to pump suction?

if a tube is held circular, it cannot pullin. the idea is that for it to collapse, bend, fold, it must get wider in 1 dimension, if there is any sort of a skeleton around it, it cant do that. you just need something that will not fall into an oval shape with the tube, something that will resist the oval shape. a coiled circle does that perfectly.

Its similar to the pic above but without cool sleves its the hardest bend to make in water cooling in my opnion...

My tygon tubes are the 1/2" ID with 3/4" OD so they are too thick for cool sleves...

I think mine is less than 3 inches to the bottom of the PC case, because the PCIe slot is only 2 slots away from the end of the MB where as in OCnubie's MB its 3 slots away from the bottom of his case.

I find if you "twist" the tube in the direction its going it helps a little...

Last edited:
A piece of 12 gage wire works well too, just strip a conductor out of the romex flat house power line.

You can install it with the tube in the case, but turn it off first of course.

You can leave the insulation on, or if your sure it won't touch anything and your HTPC has a window you can strip it (or use the bare ground wire)....copper is purty!

aaronjb said:

Ares answered this, did you get it?

in order for the tube to collapse due to any reason (suction..sharp turn), it has to physically move in an opposite direction. coolsleeves stop it from flattening out in any direction so it is unlikely that it will collapse.

JeffnWV said:
Ares answered this, did you get it?

in order for the tube to collapse due to any reason (suction..sharp turn), it has to physically move in an opposite direction. coolsleeves stop it from flattening out in any direction so it is unlikely that it will collapse.

exactly, in other words. It works great.:)

Back