• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Vista 3dmark Scores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burninate

So, I picked up Vista Premium yesterday as the OEM version was on sale at Fry's for $99.99. I did a couple of benchmarks to check performance. I was a little surprised. I ran 3dmark 05 and 3d mark 06. Same equipment as in sig but with the following settings (it's getting hot, had to tone back the OCs a bit):

AMD 165 @ 269x9 at 1.225= 2.421 Ghz
RAM: (2.5-3-3-5) @ 2.85V and 333mhz Divider= 448 Mhz
GPU: Core @ 710 Mhz and Mem at 900Mhz (1800 effective) still Vmodded @ 1.5V and newest 32-bit forceware drivers from Nvidia's website (don't remember exact version)

With XP at these settings I ran both 3dmarks last week and got:
3dmark05: 11148
3dmark06: 6210

With Vista yesterday I got:
3dmark05: 10880
3dmark06: 6148

I lost a few in 05 but got almost the same performance in 06. Looks like the drivers aren't doing too bad. No gaming benchmarks yet, I haven't had time to load any. I feel like Vista is pretty similar. Feels kind of like a hybrid between XP and OS10 from Mac (especially the gadgets seem like a rip-off). I like it so far and it was really easy to install. No need to hunt down SATA drivers, or any other drivers for that matter to function. Was nice not having to hunt down some Nvidia drivers to get my NIC card to work. All in all it feels like $100 spent on shinier stuff so far, but no instability or performance issues yet. I hope DX10 is actually worth it. The security is a pain in the ***, but it is easily turned off. It practically asks you every time you type the letter t if you really want to do that and after answering yes, it asks if you meant to answer yes. A little silly and gets annoying quick, but it IS easily turned off in the user log in settings.

The difference is the scores seem to be not all that bad imo. 280 doesn't seem like to big a hit. How do your games run in vista?

I agree about the sercurity thing. It really is annoying! But yeah, games benchmarks, preferably in comparison to your previous XP ones, would be great if you are able.

I would love to, but I found an 8800 GTS 320 on sale at circuit city yesterday and picked it up. I spent all day getting it up and running. The thing is huge and didn't fit. Had to do some cutting/modification. After I got it all together, the mobo was throwing error codes. Got it up and running finnaly. I think it may be time to upgrade soon. I don't want to get intel, but I may end up doing so. This mobo is getting a bit flakey. Luckily I didn't activate this copy of vista yet.

Burninate said:
I would love to, but I found an 8800 GTS 320 on sale at circuit city yesterday and picked it up. I spent all day getting it up and running. The thing is huge and didn't fit. Had to do some cutting/modification. After I got it all together, the mobo was throwing error codes. Got it up and running finnaly. I think it may be time to upgrade soon. I don't want to get intel, but I may end up doing so. This mobo is getting a bit flakey. Luckily I didn't activate this copy of vista yet.

That sounds like me a month ago when I jumped on the vista bandwagon...

I had a 7950GX2, Opty 165,A8N32 SLI Deluxe, 850w psu, 2 gigs of corsair ram, creative audigy 2 running XP flawlessly like a champ for over a year...Then Vista happened....

Now all the above gear is in my alt (XP) rig and the rig in sig (Home Premium) is my main....cpu/ram/mobo made a HUGE difference in general windows browsing/usage. I wouldve thought my Opty 165 setup (running at 2.4ghz) wouldve ran vista like a champ...i was wrong....

Granted I may be a little more picky about how "responsive " windows is...but as I said changing to the C2D setup was huge.

Illyest said:
That sounds like me a month ago when I jumped on the vista bandwagon...

I had a 7950GX2, Opty 165,A8N32 SLI Deluxe, 850w psu, 2 gigs of corsair ram, creative audigy 2 running XP flawlessly like a champ for over a year...Then Vista happened....

Now all the above gear is in my alt (XP) rig and the rig in sig (Home Premium) is my main....cpu/ram/mobo made a HUGE difference in general windows browsing/usage. I wouldve thought my Opty 165 setup (running at 2.4ghz) wouldve ran vista like a champ...i was wrong....

Granted I may be a little more picky about how "responsive " windows is...but as I said changing to the C2D setup was huge.

Yeah, I've been considering Conroe, but I've never been much of a fan of Intel. This Opteron is fine for what I'm doing, though I can tell its bottlenecking at least a little bit. This mobo hasn't acted up since yesterday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll keep on going, so I don't have to invest in a new mobo/cpu/memory combo for at least 4 or 5 months (which is about $450 minimum right now with an allendale 4300). The one thing I know is flakey on the mobo is the SLI switch thing. Whenever I switch it do dual card mode, I can't boot no matter what. I just get the process error beep code. Oh well, if it lasts me about 5 months, I'll be happy enough. AMD may have something worth considering by then and Intel will have had another price drop and the quads will be in my price range.

You can disable the security easy in the user account settings..

I tried Windows Vista Business 32bit and I felt a noticable difference in FPS drop and lag times while playing games such as oblivion, BF2, 2142 and STALKER.. I had it for a few weeks learned some new things on it and XP is a lot better than Vista... It's nice looking but you can download a theme that looks just like it, as well as icons and even a sidebar..

As for the 3dmark scores there really is no difference in the feeling or human eye but I'm sure everyone would agree with me that Vista is for the future not right now!

And I did miss the old classic Nvidia contral panal while using vista.. had to use ATItool in order to OC my card

I hate to say it

Burninate but if those scores in your sig are with the 8800GTS 320mb then your processor and system are just killin that poor card. Mix that card with a dreaded intel set up and bring it to life!! My scores are in my sig. And besides it is time for a new machine anyway! your machine had it's day as did my old one but these Conroes just blow up everything else.

WZ

WeldZilla said:
Burninate but if those scores in your sig are with the 8800GTS 320mb then your processor and system are just killin that poor card. Mix that card with a dreaded intel set up and bring it to life!! My scores are in my sig. And besides it is time for a new machine anyway! your machine had it's day as did my old one but these Conroes just blow up everything else.

WZ

Agreed %100. I just did some OCing on my chip and went up to 2.7 Ghz. With the same video card settings, I get a 250 point increase for every 10x9 (90Mhz) I add to my speed consistently from 2.3Ghz all the way to 2.7Ghz (max I can do with this Mem and mobo). No doubt in my mind that this chip (*cough*, and my beloved memory) is limiting my potential. But, seeing as there in absolutely nothing to play with DX10 and really no games to play in general right now, I am waiting until I have the funds to upgrade. I'm giving AMD until the next price cut from Intel in July to come out with something decent. If they haven't by then, I've been seriously eye-balling that Q6600 (I think thats the model name) quad core chip that's going down to $233. I know they run ridiculously hot, but it sure does sound nice.

Oh, and I'm still tweaking this card. I have it up to 630Mhz core and 900 Mem (1800 effective) and I still haven't hit the ceiling or seen any artifacts. Definitely a nice card to OC over 130 Mhz without modification. I got to 9100 3dmark 06 OCed to 2.6 on the CPU and 630/900 on the GPU. Not bad, but this mobo is getting flakey and I won't invest in another 939 system. So, reluctantly, Intel may have another customer soon :-/ .

are these verified scores?

3dmark, like there typical selves list the last "valid" drivers from like 2 updates ago.

I personally have found the new updated drivers have fixed more important things like games so right now my 3dmarks are not "valid"

Runninf Vista Ultimate myself

right burninate time is on your side. By early fall there will be more choices and lower prices!! So for now it is not like you are stuck with a dawg. your system will play anything you want for now

WZ

WeldZilla said:
right burninate time is on your side. By early fall there will be more choices and lower prices!! So for now it is not like you are stuck with a dawg. your system will play anything you want for now

WZ

That is.... if there was anything to play 8/ I would get Call of Juarez, but I played the Australian version and it wasn't a whole lot of fun, too much stealth at the beginning of the game (I hate stealth games). I guess Crysis looks like the first decent DX10 Game. The only other game I can think of that I have my eye on is Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, which comes out in the next month or two, but doesn't use DX10 at all last I checked. I use this PC 95% of the time for gaming (I do all my work on my laptop), so it's a little disappointing to invest a bunch of money in this PC and then have nothing to do with it as there are no good games that can actually push this system, which is why I'm kind of holding off until mid to late summer.

Mmm K,

Finally got around to actually doing a dual boot. I am actually getting better scores in XP with this 8800 GTS 320. Settings:

AMD 165 @ 282x9= 2.54Ghz
Mem= DDR 400 running DDR470 @ 3-3-3-5 1T
GPU= 8800GTS 320 @ 630/900

3dmark06 Vista= 8944
3dmark06XP= 9426

3dmark05 Vista= 13445
3dmark05 XP= 13966

Both are using latest official drivers from Nvidia. Not terrible performance. It looked like I had about 2 FPS less on average in Vista than XP.

Back