• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead hard drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

Earlier today, I had a brown-out. Comp shut off, and I restarted it. Clicking heart beats worried me. I know this means death, and after a short time, I narrowed it down to FOUR drives as gone kaput. All the drives but one spin up, so for these ones, is it the heads gone?

I'm looking at doing some extreme stuff with these. I'm going to be saving up to make sure I can afford a 500gb drive, then, using another hard drive that is the same model as three of the dead drives I shall be opening them up and finding out if it is the heads. The three drives in question do spin up, they just click like a heart beat. Yes I know this is extreme, but I've technically got nothing to lose. I'll even post pics of me doing it.

So, does anyone know of any guides related to doing this kind of thing? I'm pretty sure there's stuff out there to show how to put a window in to a drive, does anyone have any links?

I'm looking at creating a diy clean room with a plastic clear bag that is well sealed.

Thanks for the link. I'll keep in mind to do a PCB swap when I get a replacement drive to quickly backup the data if the restoration works.

I'd say its a magnet issue but not 100% sure. I had this problem a while back with one drive. When i switched it on it kept clicking when it was spinning. I put the hard disk in protective wrapping and put it in the fridge overnight. next day, it worked normally, managed to back up the data, im not sure this will work but it might :),lasted six months before it totally died. hope it works out :).

Back