• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X1950PRO versus 8800GTS 320mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lapino

I'm in the process of building a new computer, most components are decided on, but I have a hard time deciding on which videocard to buy. The system is a Core2Duo E6600, 2gb ram, Asus P5B-E motherboard and a 22" Samsung widescreen.

While I do most of my gaming on a 360, I do like to play a game on pc from time to time (c&c3, stalker etc). Now someone recommended me a X1950PRO videocard, as this should be able to run these games pretty well for a decent budget.

On the other hand, a 8800GTS would cost me 'just' an additional 150€. Fact is though, that videocard-land is progressing rapidly and since there are not that much dx10 titles available now, maybe I should wait it out a little and get a cheaper card like the X1950pro for the time being and get a decent DX10 card once games really demand it.

What do you think? Will the X1950pro be ok for a while? Or would I be better off just getting the 8800GTS? How much performance difference can I expect between the two?

I was in the same boat myself. I went with the 8800gts 320. I don't game much so i had thought about the 1950 but then my taxes came and it was my b-day.:beer: . Once you get to the 320 version the 640 is only about 100 some more, and so on. :bang head http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html This should give you some idea of what you can expect. The 1950 is a decent card and for the price it can be found at not a bad deal.

My main concern is if the 1950pro will be able to run games like c&c3 and stalker at native tft resolution (1680x1050). I don't care that much about AA and usually find AF8 ok.

Hmm...even with 320 MB VRAM on the 8800GTS, you might run into some problems at 1680x1050 depending on whether you like to play with graphics on high (no AA, no AF considered). >512 MB VRAM generally means you'll be playing at res of ~1440x990 or lower without losing out on performance while enjoying beautiful graphics. I would most definitely go with the 8800 considering DX9 is on its way out the door and it'll be well worth the money considering we will (hopefully) see next-gen titles within the year. Can't go wrong with DX10 compatibility at a reasonable price!:attn:

I can't bring myself to spend the extra $100 on the 8800gts. Thus 1950pro or 7900gs ($200 CDN max). What am i missing out on, frame rate wise?

The games I want to play are oblivion and fear. Are they playable on these cards?

I have a buddy at work how plays oblivion with a 1600pro? and he seems to think it runs fine. Not sure what he has for settings. I would think you should be fine. Unless you are going to max everything at super resolutions.

if you dont want to get the dx10 cards now, the best dx9 cards are the x1950 or 7900gtx or the 7950. they are all VERY cheap now as everyone is selling theirs for the dx10 card. you can probably pick them up for $200

If FEAR and Oblivion are the main games you're looking to play, I'd go with the X1950PRO and save the money. We're not going to see native DX10 games for quite some time (note that I said native, I didn't say DX9 games with DX10 features).

Personally, I'm about to build almost the same system as you, and I've opted for this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102075

I run my games in either 1280x960 or 1600x1200 on my 21" Trinitron and like high settings with some AA. I currently play things like HL2, Doom3, Quake4, Oblivion, UT2K4, (plus some older games that get good frames no matter what) and I plan to pick up Bioshock and Quake Wars. Don't have any fears about those games on this card.

Quite simple... The 8800GTS is faster but DX10 while the X1950PRO is a good card for DX9 games. If you want more performance in games in the future go with the 8800!

That's my issue though, is that we're not going to see any DX10 games for so long that the 8800 might be used solely for DX9 games and not be all that great when the real DX10 games do come around.

I had a similar dilemma and I ended up picking the 8800gts. After looking at reviews of the card, I found that the 8800gts not only has dx10 capabilities, but it also blows away the competition when running dx9 games. But I guess it just comes down to your future upgrade plan. If you don't want to upgrade for a year+, grab the 8800gts. But if you want to save some cash now so that you can buy a nicer card in 6 months I would grab the x1950pro.

I was in a similar boat and opted for the 1950xt... however I now wish I got the 512 for an extra $20 but in my research I didn't notice much an increase. I do about the same gaming you do, not frequent but when I do it's the newer stuff like c&c3(great game btw) and oblivion. I have no problems running either at max settings and AA/HDR, however highest screen res I can go is 1280x1024 so I don't know what to tell ya on the 1680x1050.

Overall i'm very satisfied with my choice and I do plan on going for the big guns eventually but I see the 8800 as overkill for now(on both my budget and with amount of gaming I do). And if you really feel the need to get more out of the card you could always slap on an HR-03, some AS5 and push that OC it a bit I'm sure.

shadin said:
That's my issue though, is that we're not going to see any DX10 games for so long that the 8800 might be used solely for DX9 games and not be all that great when the real DX10 games do come around.

What do you mean "For so long?" There are DX10 games coming out NEXT MONTH. I told... oh nevermind. I'm not going through THAT whole thing before. But basically people were saying the same thing last generation: "Oh... I don't care about Shader Model 3.0." ONE MONTH later... they cared about Shader Model 3.0.

Get the EVGA 8800. And if you feel the need three months down the line... Step-up.

What games are coming out next month that are native DX10? Please note that a native game means that it will not run at all unless you have DX10 installed. Otherwise from a programming standpoint a game is a DX9 game that has certain DX10 rendering effects.

i am also building a similar machine, i think i'm gonna get the 8800 320mb card, it has the support for DX10, rips on DX9 games, and in the future if i need that extra horsepower in DX10 i'll setup to the Sli setup when this card will be cheap, and of course oc the hell out of it

shadin said:
What games are coming out next month that are native DX10? Please note that a native game means that it will not run at all unless you have DX10 installed. Otherwise from a programming standpoint a game is a DX9 game that has certain DX10 rendering effects.

World in Conflict, Bioshock, Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis comes out two months later.

And that's BS saying a game is DX9 just because it runs in DX9. All the above games are DX10 games scaled down to run in DX9 to boost sales. How do I know this? Because all the high-end 360 games that are being ported over (such as Lost Planet) are DX10 games. They simply made a commitment months ago to get it to run on DX9.

ANYWAY... All those games are coming out in the next couple months. I don't even care about any titles coming after those (except maybe Alan Wake... whatever the hell THAT's going to be.)

Shakir_Akbari said:
i am also building a similar machine, i think i'm gonna get the 8800 320mb card, it has the support for DX10, rips on DX9 games, and in the future if i need that extra horsepower in DX10 i'll setup to the Sli setup when this card will be cheap, and of course oc the hell out of it

That's where the SMART money is. I'll never understand people getting nostalgic about HARDWARE. Computer hardware is the one thing that doesn't get bettter, or increase value, with age. If you've got the first pentium chip ever... then it's probably worth about thirty cents unless you can overclock it to 5ghz.

I really wanted a 7900GTO... for basically nostalgic purposes... but by the time I could afford a new video card, I had enough money to get an 8800GTS. I didn't think twice about it. Didn't even look-up what the 7900 series was going for.

It really, REALLY frustrates me to see people holding on to, and worse, RECOMMENDING old tech. Because these SAME PEOPLE will be whining, two or three months from now, about how they can't run any games.

I'm taking names...

Last edited:
World in Conflict, Bioshock, Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis comes out two months later.

And that's BS saying a game is DX9 just because it runs in DX9. All the above games are DX10 games scaled down to run in DX9 to boost sales. How do I know this? Because all the high-end 360 games that are being ported over (such as Lost Planet) are DX10 games. They simply made a commitment months ago to get it to run on DX9.

ANYWAY... All those games are coming out in the next couple months. I don't even care about any titles coming after those (except maybe Alan Wake... whatever the hell THAT's going to be.)
I'm sorry, but that's just not correct. From the official Bioshock FAQ:

BioShock is being released on PC and Xbox 360. It is not a Windows Vista exclusive game."
"The game will feature some DirectX10 content for Vista users."
These are native DX9 games with some DX10 features patched in. Unreal Torunament 3 uses Shader 3.0, which is DX9, but once again the game does have some DX10 effects in it.

The latest release is the Unreal Engine 3, which is designed around Microsoft's DirectX 9 technology for 32/64-bit Windows and Xbox 360 platforms; OpenGL 2.x technology for 32/64-bit Linux, Mac OS X and Sony's PlayStation 3; and Microsoft's DirectX 10 technology for 32/64-bit Windows Vista.

This is the reason why some people (myself included) are not spending $300+ on a graphics card right now, when some of the <$200 cards will run everything out and coming out this year at great framerates at the loss of a few effects. Native DX10 games are going to be awesome, it's way easier to develop in DX10 than previous versions, and there's lots of cool things that the native engines are going to be able to do. However, I'd rather not spend the money now and instead invest in what will inevitably be better hardware when games come out that are going to effectively utilize it.

That's where the SMART money is. I'll never understand people getting nostalgic about HARDWARE. Computer hardware is the one thing that doesn't get bettter, or increase value, with age. If you've got the first pentium chip ever... then it's probably worth about thirty cents unless you can overclock it to 5ghz.
Who is getting nostalgic? Oh, and anyone who doesn't buy an 8800, despite the fact that it's basically double the price of the alternatives we're suggesting, isn't smart? I guess everyone should just look at your rig before building theirs, because obviously you have the only viable setup that makes sense.

I really wanted a 7900GTO... for basically nostalgic purposes... but by the time I could afford a new video card, I had enough money to get an 8800GTS. I didn't think twice about it. Didn't even look-up what the 7900 series was going for.
Good for you.. not sure why you'd want a video card for nostalgic purposes, but whatever. Then you didn't think twice about the 8800. That's great and all, but some of us skip certain stages of hardware because of price/performance ratio at the time it's released. Sometimes, not to steal your awesome lines, but that's the SMART thing to do.

It really, REALLY frustrates me to see people holding on to, and worse, RECOMMENDING old tech. Because these SAME PEOPLE will be whining, two or three months from now, about how they can't run any games.
I'm sorry that it really frustrates you to see people think that the high-end DX9 cards are still good performance cards at a very low price. Oh, and I've never whined about my hardware, because I always do my homework ahead of time. I'm about to retire this 7600GT, and this has probably been the best card I've ever had when it came to price/performance ratio. Been playing Quake 4, Oblivion, D3, UT2K4, some EQ2 and Supreme Commander at great frames and high quality. But I know that Bioshock and UT3 will be a bit much for it, so going to bump it up some.

i was lucky enough to obtain a 8800gts 320meg for a month, my previous card was a 7900gtx, and so far games like quake wars beta runs alot better, and so does lost planet on dx9 mode. i havent tried dx10 as i dont want to install vista.. but im gonna have to if i want to see dx10 :(

Back