• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista starts itself?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irish80122

For the past few nights I have put my computer into sleep mode only to find it on when I wake up in the morning. This didn't used to happen, and I am not sure what has changed, but it is starting to worry me. As far as I can tell, it only happens at night and I do not believe that I have Wake On LAN enabled. Any ideas? Thanks!

Any pets or little kids hit the keyboard to power it up while you're sleeping? if not that...Skynet maybe? :)

Nope, I live in a dorm room and it isn't Skynet. Thanks though, and nice picture!

I may just have to turn a lot of logging on, perhaps that will tell me...so odd. The laptop is getting older too, so who knows!

I know you mentioned 'Wake On LAN' is disabled in the BIOS, but have you also checked the properties of your network card to see if any of the "wake" options are enabled? In addition, check the settings for each of the devices in Device Manager. Expand each hardware device entry (Keyboards, Mice and other pointing devices, etc.), right click each device and select "Properties"... which will bring up the "Properties" applet. Look for a tab called "Power Management", and uncheck any settings that allow the device to bring the computer out of stanby.

I have the EXACT same problem, and it also goes into what I call "undead mode". Won't post, just spins fans with lights on.

I've tried several different BIOS settings (suspend on, off, disabling wake from external devices, etc.) For MY board here's what helped...

1. Flashed to the latest BIOS (rev.2004)

2. Disconected USB ports that had 'wake' options.

My computer no longer 'sleepwalks' ;) but it still goes undead every now and again. I strongly suspect this will be fixed in Service Pack 1. I have read a lot of threads about unusual waking/shutdown in Vista.

Back