• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony's Jack(***) Tretton at it again. AGAINST 360s folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In the end, he's just not looking at it like we do. We look at folding@home as something fun to do that has a positive benefit. He looks at it as a business application, and he doesn't want anybody else stealing a slice of his pie.

It's not as simple as he's worried that the Xbox 360 will out-fold the PS3 on a processor-to-processor basis. Currently, the PS3 is the only game in town for console folding programs and he likes that designation from a business standpoint is all.

It's still a real prick thing to do, however.

FudgeNuggets said:
What's wrong, Jack? Afraid the Tri-Core PPC will show to be equal to or better than the cell? IT'S FOR CHARITY AND CURING CANCER YOU JERK!!!!

I REALLY HATE this guy and wish SONY would FIRE him. He's done nothing but make them look bad, especially with the EGM article and now this.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/sharing-is-caring!/sony--at-microsoft-thinking-about-foldinghome-262053.php

...And all this time I though that Charity was about selflessness and helping others :eek:

Say what you will about the PS3, but Sony has been very quotable this year. I'll add this to some of my other favorites such as:

"The Wii is a fad."

"I actually think the PS3 is too inexpensive."

"I think gamers care more about motion tilt than rumble."

"Europeans won't mind waiting until March for the PS3."

deception``

Well, they cut the head off the turd snake, now they just need to let it die and hopefully the handful for PR nightmares like this guy will go with it.

Sure its a natural reaction, but having a ****ing contest over who is more charitable just looks bad. Someone in the company just needs to tell guys like this to stfu or we'll cut the cord on your golden parachutte(sp?).

Fudge what are you talking about? All he is saying is Sony pioneered this with an open mind and Microsoft considering doing it is simply to try and out do Sony, where Sony was doing it more to just help. Also F@H did say that,
After being asked if he thought the power of the 360 could be useful, he said: "Possibly, although the cell processor in the PS3 is much more powerful for our calculations than the CPU in the Xbox 360."
http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/03-05-2007-5386.html
Peter Moore is the one that said,
I'm not quite sure yet whether we're seeing real tangible results from the PlayStation 3 Folding@home initiative. We continue to look at this and see whether there's real value,"
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24855
Not seeing real results? More like he didn't want to admit Sony was doing a very helpful free project nearly from the start while Microsoft completely skipped it since it did not at all help them.

Last edited:
tenchi86 said:
Fudge what are you talking about? All he is saying is Sony pioneered this with an open mind and Microsoft doing it would not be because they care but because they want to win a console war. Also F@H did say that, .

Peter Moore is the one that said,
Not seeing real results? More like he didn't want to admit Sony was doing a very helpful free project nearly from the start while they just skipped it.

The reality is that both companies are doing this for some sort of tangible value. No company would engage in said activities if they did not believe that there was some sort of direct or indirect return to be realized. Having said that, this situation is nothing more than a ****ing contest between two competing companies desparate to one-up another (Microsoft with the HDMI Elite, Sony with PSN/Home, etc).

For the record, Peter Moore has said some pretty stupid things, too. I wish I could remember more of them at the moment.

EDIT: Didn't realize that was a banned word here.

deception``

Yes, Moore is a fool as well but not nearly 1/10th that Tretton is. SONY has no say so anyway as Stanford is the one who owns the intellectual properties. It's just bad of Jack(***) to even need to say ANYTHING negative about the program or who is running it. Imagine the ferver and riots that would ensue if Intel said something like that about AMD. Microsoft isn't even sure they're going to do it yet, but Jack(***) Tretton felt the need to launch a premptive verbal strike. LOSER!!

Did Microsoft need to try and put down Sonys efforts then by saying they are seeing no tangible results even though the PS3s contribute more then every other source combined? Also Moore did make his comment first, so if anyone is at fault here it is him. Tretton if you read his post without your hate glasses on Fudge is simply saying that he is not sure the Xbox could help much because if it could then Stanford would be working on a client to run on the Xbox. He never really slams it at all and even says he is surprised Stanford does not want their help.

Just a note, and this could just be me. Though changing names to Jack(***) or Microshaft, really do nothing to the conversation except make yourself look a bit foolish.

Last edited:
Well we are talking about Tretton, so Jack(***) is a bit of a given and redundant, so I agree Tenchi.. Also, if I'm hating on anything it's Tretton himself. My PS3 has been folding 24/7 for 2 weeks, except when I'm playing a demo or watching a BluRay disc.

Bring Folding@Home to 360 please I would love to have that running on my system as well god Standford uni would love this to happen. And are probably making a 360 compat version as we speak incase MS want it to officially happen. I could imagine the amount of calculations if this all goes to plan and how many of the projects would get done.

Back