• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost and Hopeless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProffessorB

Hey all.. I'm a very new student in the art of overclocking, ie: 2 days or so, heh. I'm having several problems. First off, I have a Celeron 566. Second, every site I've gone to looking for step by step help overclocking my PC, has said.. "Check your motherboard's manual for intructions". Ok, that would be no prob, but I don't have a manual. I didn't build this comp, I bought it, but it was secondhand etc. Ok, to my point... Could anyone give a quick rundown on how to get started? Do I need to open up the case? And what do I look for? Many thanks in advance!!

B

OK well..

Download sisoft sandra find out what motherboard you have.

And did you know your Celeron II 566 is like 110% overclockable that is with the extreme measures of peltier+watercooling hehe anyways...

In Sisoft Sandra you would go into Mainboard information it will give you a manufacture and a model.

That would be your motherboard.

Is your motherboard branded?

And last but not least you overclock your motherboard by raising the FSB and upping the core voltage when it becomes unstable and last one again you need motherboard monitor when you overclock. It monitors your CPU temperatures so it doesn't blow when it goes too high and heat is a real thing you need to get rid of when it comes to overclocking so you might need a new heatsink.

Thanks

Tsunami,

Thanks a ton! DLing Sisoft Sonya as I write this, and I'm excited to get started. I apologize if I seem dense, or completely clueless, and I really appreciate the help, but could you explain how I'd physically up the FSB? Once I get my motherboad info, then what? Thanks again!

B

Look in your BIOS to see if you have the option to raise FSB and CV there, if you do please go through are tips section and get yourself a good background and you will have a much happier PC :) Oh look for user define ect trying to find your settings, one note if you have a name brand PC i'm afraid it could be bad news as they do not let you have any overclocking option's they dont want users messing with there settings

Look in your BIOS to see if you have the option to raise FSB and CV there, if you please go through are tips section and get yourself a good background and you will have a much happier PC :)

Thanks X 2

Thanks for all the advice guys, please take into account that I'm basically a blank slate in terms of overclocking. I'm constantly looking over this site and others for advice, not just from forums, but from "step by step" walkthroughs. Though I must say I've found none that actually walk you through the process. I can't access from Bios, so could anyone give some tips about doin it by opening the case? Gracias!

B

We can't give you a walkthrough, cookbook, step by step instructions because we don't have a clue what motherboard you have yet. Some motherboards are totally unoverclockable. Others have the adjustment in the BIOS. Some have jumpers and a few have dip switches. Every brand is unique. What kind of computer is this and what motherboard does it use? Once you know what motherboard it is, often you can download the manual from the internet.

Welcome proffessor, I too resemble the blank slate. However it is important that you first ID your motherboard, then you can see where to go from there.

Re: Thanks X 2

ProffessorB said:
Thanks for all the advice guys, please take into account that I'm basically a blank slate in terms of overclocking. I'm constantly looking over this site and others for advice, not just from forums, but from "step by step" walkthroughs. Though I must say I've found none that actually walk you through the process. I can't access from Bios, so could anyone give some tips about doin it by opening the case? Gracias!

B

Muhahahahaahha!!!! A mind we can corrupt!!!
Seriously though. Do you have a Dell, Compaq, or something simmilar?

Model etc.

Heh.. it's a Compusa celeron II 566. The motherboard is a Soyo is a 7IWM/L V1.0. Not sure if that helps, it's all greek to me.

B

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. However, I don't have any experience with that motherboard, but maybe another member does. Do a search with google on "Soyo is a 7IWM/L V1.0" and see if you can find out more info.

Problem is: "- Intel 82810 (Whitney) Chipset; Supports 66/100 MHz FSB"

I found some specs here. It doesn't look good for overclocking. The first thing I would check for are jumpers or a setting in the bios to adjust the voltage and bus/clock speeds. If you can't adjust the voltage you'll have to wrap wire around the pins of the CPU to change the voltage settings. If you change the voltage and have decent cooling you might get it running at 100mhz bus (current runs at 66mhz bus).

You can get the latest bios from here.

Back