• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bored with BF2, what is a newer Online FPS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gemini1706

I also do not want to get BF 2142 (or whatever).

Anything fresh to keep me entertained till Unreal T 2007 comes up?

Something that plays online :)

Call me boring, but Counter-Strike: Source is great fun. Runs well on just about any system that can play HL2, really fun, and a great training ground for your headshot skills.

My problem is; I never played that game ever, and I hear that if you are new, then be ready to be murdered for months before you can even fire a bullet :)
Is this true?? That is what I am told.

I would prefer something newer, where online community is still in a learning curve (or at least lots of newer people join so I am not the only victim :) )
I want to grow with the community, not just become the easy target.

Gemini1706 said:
My problem is; I never played that game ever, and I hear that if you are new, then be ready to be murdered for months before you can even fire a bullet :)
Is this true?? That is what I am told.

I would prefer something newer, where online community is still in a learning curve (or at least lots of newer people join so I am not the only victim :) )
I want to grow with the community, not just become the easy target.

Well, sort of. But at the same time there are thousands of servers, and you will quickly find a nice server that isnt TOO hard, and you will get the hang of it. Dont worry too much about it ;)

Next big thing is Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, comes out next month I think.

i got cs:s 3 weeks ago and i made a mistake i didnt like it at all. i am also waiting for UT2007 and i also play bf2 LOL thats pretty much all the fps games i play.
i am also looking for something but i dont see anything interesting on the shelves. when i get bored i go fishing :p, sorry i went off topic :(

YOO said:
i got cs:s 3 weeks ago and i made a mistake i didnt like it at all. i am also waiting for UT2007 and i also play bf2 LOL thats pretty much all the fps games i play.
i am also looking for something but i dont see anything interesting on the shelves. when i get bored i go fishing :p, sorry i went off topic :(

Takes time to get used to CS:S, and I had to come to like it after some time of trying to play it off and on. Wouldnt be a problem for me since it came free with my HL2, but in your case, you bought it FOR that, so eh.

Bump for css, u can buy just css in the store or online for like 20.00

Well you could always try my clans servers for css. We have 3 combat zones, as well as a gungame, a deathmatch, and a golden eye mod server.
We are well established and compete in cal and have a team in cal i. We have many servers and are new player friendly. Admins are always willing to help and give advice as well as joke around. I started playing css less then 2 years ago and learned a lot. If you are proficient at bf2 it shouldnt be so bad jumping over to css. I believe there is a reason it is the #1 online fps for a reason. There is no mech though. Its a real fps pistols, submachine guns, long guns and sniper rifles. Flash bangs and nades, basics. Team work plays a huge factor in success. Objectives are either rescue the hosties or blow up the target. To be honest I played BF2 and thought it was okay, was always a console gamer. After playing css at a buddies house I was hooked bad, bought it ****ed of the wife and almost failed out of lawschool :) almost.

I play as "PTC AHBROODY" and am on most nights after 10pm. If you decide to check out css. stop by. Goes for anyone as
Anyway for a list of our servers and to check out our forum go to.
www.poontangclan.net
www.poontangclan.net/forums

I was pretty disappointed with Source as well. I'm big on the earlier versions of CS. I think we are all waiting for UT2007. :p I can't wait for it's release. SC2 may also be on the horizon. I know it's not an FPS but sure does look promising.

YOO said:
i also felt the weapons on cs are not very accurate IMO

They are fairly accurate. Not saying exact replicas from real life guns, but very close. Mainly the thing that throws people off with guns in there is the element of bullet lag, and also most people think accurate in terms of shots, well your first shot, while standing still is always going to be accurate, hell any time you shoot a gun, your first shot is going to be your most accurate. In that game, most of the time you are shooting bursts or going full auto/hammering the trigger. Thus your accuracy does go down.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I have been enjoying HL2 DM again recently. The physics and grav gun do it for me I guess.

Yes you have two choices for the package... Counter Strike Source with Half Life 2 Deathmatch and Day of Defeat source or Half life 2 with counter strike source and half life source, half life: deathmatch source and Half life 2 deathmatch or spend over $50 and get the complete thing.. Hl2, Hl2 episode 2, cs source, dod source, hl source and hl 2 deathmatch

I would get CS source with DOD source if you like WW2 style CS

Depends on how you bought HL2. If it was from a store then CSS is free, if you bought it online the you'd have to buy CSS separate.

I'm a huge fan of CSS. Never played the original but I am addicted to Source. Once you get the hang of headshots and how to shoot it's huge fun. Just gotta keep your shots in 2-3 shot bursts instead of just holding down the trigger. Anything after 3 shots usually ends up 3 foot above your crosshairs for rifles.

I highly suggest starting out with the MP5 Navy b/c you can hold the trigger and it's still pretty accurate, just aim for the heads!

have you tried some mods for BF2? Poe2 is an sweet one, there is also one tha gets you into huge fights(server can host 200 players) but I can't remember the name

i see you said you didnt wanna get 2142 but i have that game as well and i think its a little better of a game then bf2.... some of my other friends prefer bf2 but its because they dont really have good video cards and it kinda lags them a bit!

Back