• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista Kicks Butt!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
one problem,, it doesnt recognize my NEC DVD WRITER? Only my old DVD ROM? What the hell! I have them both connected thru the same IDE cable.. The NEC is master in BIOS and Regular dvd drive is on slave, yet vista only sees my slave? any ideas?

Damn right it does. I picked up a copy of Business Pro free from my school's IT dept, I'll never go back to XP.

Running Ultimate x64 and it runs faster better than it did under XP. Probably b/c I can use all 4 GB of ram now. Plus the OS seems much more stable.

Only problems I've had is I can't use Zone Alarm and I had to remove an option from WinAmp to install it.

I've got Home Premium and so far I love it. There are a few quirks about here and there I don't like, but the good far out weighs the bad.

I use Vista 32bit Home Premium. Some compatibility issues, but nothing worth writing home about. I'm quite happy with it, and with a high end system, it runs smooth as glass. (aeroglass that is)

Running 32 bit ultimate on my laptop and 64 bit ultimate on my desktop. Both run just as fast if not faster than xp. I do of course have a few little quirks here and there but as others have said its not enough for me to quit using it. Overall I think microsoft did alright this time.

one problem iam having, is that my FPS dropped dramatically in BF2!! I used to get like 40 with xp and my 6600gt.. now its like 15 and almost unplayable! any ideas?? :(

werdz thats why vista blows, for now at least. I got the free copy from one of those MS things, and it made my gaming a poor experience, so I went back to XP. Here at work I have Vista as well, my PC has 2GB of memory, I have 180MB of that free, all I have open is IE, Outlook and Messenger, I just rebooted too.

terran2k said:
werdz thats why vista blows, for now at least. I got the free copy from one of those MS things, and it made my gaming a poor experience, so I went back to XP. Here at work I have Vista as well, my PC has 2GB of memory, I have 180MB of that free, all I have open is IE, Outlook and Messenger, I just rebooted too.

That's bizarre. My machine runs 512megs of memory at idle, and even with IE a movie editor, and several windows open at once, I rarely use more than 1.2 to 1.5 gigs under full load. I know that's a lot, but I just don't experience the kind of memory load that you're describing.

Werdz- I don't play the games you mention, but Supreme Commander runs at full resolution, with hundreds of individually rendered troops, smooth as silk. I think FRAPS pegged it at 45fps.... but I can't remember.

I suppose the lesson is, if you want to run Vista, you better bring your best equipment.

oakstave - Ye I have been tweaking my graphics card, brought the frames up.. and i think the nvidia drivers are still not at 100% so i will wait. :D other than that it rocks.

werdz said:
oakstave - Ye I have been tweaking my graphics card, brought the frames up.. and i think the nvidia drivers are still not at 100% so i will wait. :D other than that it rocks.
:beer: Agreed.

btw on my pc vista only uses like 470 megs of ram while nothing is running, same as xp for me.

Back