• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How come random software doesn't load on startup when its supposed to???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Un-Kut

some boots, there are software that are supposed to be started when windows starts that loads fine, a lot of other times, a LOT of programs don't load up for some reason

im thinking the motherboard is a problem, i have the asus P5B-E w/ e6600 and 2 gig corsair xms2.... the onboard LAN doesnt work sometimes either

What software is it that doesn't load? Unless it relates to the motherboard (say the monitoring utility) I wouldn't think of the MB off the bat. I would be more looking at Windows.

ErikD said:
What software is it that doesn't load? Unless it relates to the motherboard (say the monitoring utility) I wouldn't think of the MB off the bat. I would be more looking at Windows.
Exactly.

OP: Have you tried a fresh install of Windows on a seperate drive? This is probably a software related issue.

All things being the same, your software should load or at least attempt to load every time you start the pc. If not, reload the software.

Check your event log for errors or notices of why it did not start. Also, are you restarting, or shutting down, waiting and restarting? A long time ago, in a land far far away, I got burned on restarting a machine (this had to do with old scsi drives and adapters.) Now I will never restart and only shut all the way down and then power back up. It just seems to be a more stable and predictable way or getting things to go away and reset.

sorry, this is XP home... is it a good idea just to reformat and reinstall windows?

Un-Kut said:
sorry, this is XP home... is it a good idea just to reformat and reinstall windows?
I usually end up reformatting every 3 months...it doesn't hurt anything.

Back