• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How would I go about coding this for Excel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CAPiTA

It's a pretty simple concept. Basically, I'd like to make a template in Excel which has pre defined cell editing permissions based on the username of the person logging in.

E.g.

Sally can only edit sheet2 cells A1 to A4
Bill can edit sheet 1 but only cells A1 to B3:

Does this make sense? I'd like to code it myself, but I don't know VB. Can you guys recommend me some places or previous projects similar to this? Or even where to find the necessary syntax?

Thanks!

Are these people looging in through another program already written in VB? Or are they going to login to the Excel worksheet when they open the template?

They're going to be logging into the Excel sheet on a network drive. I've found a temporary solution by using protected user access. It basically works for what I need, but it's annoying working with all the passwords

can you not use integrated windows security? Meaning that whatever they are logged into windows as will result in certain permissions on the worksheet.

Back