• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win xp home login...time recorded anywhere?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sgt Slaughter

Does winxp home log the login time of a user? I need to find the times a user logged in (user accounts are passworded if that makes a difference) or any other way to tell when a user was actually using the computer? Need the info as my son has had an issue where his whereabouts need to be verified and he claims he was at home on the computer. He does not email or instant message much and usually plays warcraft 3 or counter strike.

Thanks

I don't know about home, but I'm pretty sure you can check it out in event viewer. (control panel/administrative tools/event viewer).

dark_15 said:
Well, you can kick him off whenever you'd like, or set times for him to be able to access the computer...
http://www.winability.com/active-exit/

Sgt Slaughter said:
Need the info as my son has had an issue where his whereabouts need to be verified and he claims he was at home on the computer.

I'd say try event viewer. It will let you know when processes were started there by giving you an idea of when someone was using the computer.

I don't think Windows XP Home has that ability to audit logging. One thing you could look for is a save file or some temporary file that may have been modified during the time in question.

NTFS time stamps would work if he hasn't used the PC since. If he was playing a game, maybe he has a save point from teh date/time in question?

Back