• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6600 on water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Well, some of you that know my story know that I have recently been through a few bumps in the road and have downgraded my rig. I sold my Phase Change Unit and my QX6700 and downgraded to an E6600 on water. I am using an Exos2 water unit with an extra MCP pump hooked up to the loop to increase the poor flow rate on the Exos. My cpu block is a swiftech Apogee GT. I have built over 37 W/C rigs in the last 3 years but havent been water cooling myself for quite some time.

Rig Specs
E6600 week 70
2x2gb Gskill (4gig kit)
P5B Deluxe (no mods)

9 X 400 @ 1.55 vcore
Idle Temps: 29*C
Load Temps: 54*C
I attribute the large delta change in idle/load transition to the inneficient EXOS2 cooling capability and quite possibly the added heat of the second pump. However, at this vcore I couldnt ask for better temps on water.

At first, it would crash almost immediately into prime. I went right into bios and took a shot on thinking it was the 400 FSB holding me back. I didnt touch any voltages on the mobo so I upped everything to max, and now shes working like a champ and has been priming non-stop since.

I am starting off with the standard E6600 overclock of 9 X 400 (3.6GHz) Everything seems copasetic so far with dual priming it:
I will keep you all updated on stability. I am not shooting for any high goals, just a basic 24/7 overclock. I will have a completely seperate Dry Ice benching rig with an E6700 so be prepared for some extreme results. This is my gaming/work rig.

Attachments

• e6600water1.jpg
    e6600water1.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 252
Taking a stab at 9 X 405 (3.65 GHz)
Just started priming. If she gets 15 to 20 minutes in I am going to try for 3.70 GHz and let it sit overnight. I will keep checking back in. I tried to boot right up into Vista @ 3.80 GHz at 1.55vcore she corrupted on startup. I think 3.80 needs 1.60 vcore. I will keep everyone posted.

Attachments

• e6600water2.jpg
    e6600water2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 248
Nice im very interested =) I have water and aiming you the clocks you are already getting for my soon upgrade

||Console|| said:
Nice im very interested =) I have water and aiming you the clocks you are already getting for my soon upgrade
No problem bud, I will definitely keep you posted. I got the E6600 from the egg about 1 week ago, so you should be receiving the same batch as me if you order relatively soon.

Regards,

I just put together a e6600 (L701C326) which will be watercooled when I finish working on my case. Hopefully I can get a 24/7 3.6ghz clock.

I've read many of the IHS's are 'cupped' which can cause the wide idle to load temp spread. Lapping should easily correct that problem.

JLK03F150 said:
I just put together a e6600 (L701C326) which will be watercooled when I finish working on my case. Hopefully I can get a 24/7 3.6ghz clock.

I've read many of the IHS's are 'cupped' which can cause the wide idle to load temp spread. Lapping should easily correct that problem.

Thats very true. Epox4Life lapped his E6600 and achieved some nice delta improvements from it. More importantly he gained a few degree drops across the board. Hopefully he sees this thread so he can elaborate.

No lapping for me though.

Yeah, that's a tough decision to make when you know it's gonna kill the 3 yr warranty on a retail CPU. :eek:

Look everyone, it's Dominick! :) Good to see you around again. Hope things have straightened out and stay that way. Look forward to seeing the results of the new rig!

jivetrky said:
Look everyone, it's Dominick! :) Good to see you around again. Hope things have straightened out and stay that way. Look forward to seeing the results of the new rig!

Thanks bud!
Its nice to hear from you again.

Current results:
1.62 vcore 9 X 412 (3.71 GHz)
So far priming for 15 minutes. So far so good.
I tried 9 X 410 at 1.55 vcore and the rig crashed after about 7 minutes of priming. So, I upped the vcore to maximum bios allowed. Steady she goes.

Attachments

• e6600water3.jpg
    e6600water3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 239
jivetrky said:
Wow, is the voltage reading in CPUz really accurate? That seems like a pretty big droop.

No, it is incorrect in CPUZ. That would be a pretty incredible overclock for 1.2 vcore.. hehe

AWESOME OC!!

I have the same problem with my e6600, I crash almost instantaneously when I go anything above 3.2ghz. Right now I'm stable at 400x8 and I was wondering if you could tell me what you did exactly to get her to go higher. Also, what stepping did you end up getting? I have one of those blasted 46Gs that are notorious for not budging, I'm half hoping there's some sort of secret to them and perhaps you've found it :)

Not to thread jack but, do you think it's safe to run 1.55-1.6V to the vcore on air? I move around A LOT so water cooling isn't the most practical thing for my situation.

Last edited:
You're running 1.62v (BIOS) and 53C load!!! Very nice Dominick, I don't think you need to worry about your IHS being cupped. lol What actual vcore are you seeing?

JLK03F150 said:
You're running 1.62v (BIOS) and 53C load!!! Very nice Dominick, I don't think you need to worry about your IHS being cupped. lol What actual vcore are you seeing?

Thanks bud.
Its 1.70 bios selected and actual vcore = 1.62 load
I know the cooling is definitely capable of pushing a better 24/7 OC but my NB temps are close to 50*C. I think I am going to install a swiftech chipset cooler. If its not the mobo temps holding me back than it has to be the actual chip. Not all chips are golden. As of right now, I am pushing maximum vcore into it without vmods, and it fails dual prime after about 15 minutes at 3.70 GHz. But than again, I get warnings for my mobo temps during load. Either that, or I will reseat the stock chipset sink and put some AS5 on it.

Slap it on water =) you have 2 pumps you should be fine. then you can really jack the MCH volts =)

Pretty nice results so far Dom! My chip pretty much max's out @3.4GHz with 1.55v. My Idle temps are 34c and load around 52c, i'm not too happy with that delta myself! I haven't put AS5 on the NB and SB yet so i'm hoping it's the board maxing out and getting too hot and it's not my chip maxing out @ a mere 3.4GHz! I'm also planning on putting some active cooling on my NB but i'm waiting until I get a new case to re-do my setup. Keep the updates coming, i'm very interested to see how high you can get this. I might try another chip soon.

UPDATES*
Put some AS5 on the NB sink, and added a 75 cfm fan positioned directly above chipset. Lowered temps to 41*C load. Same thing: 3.70 GHz and it crashes and reboots windows about 15 minutes into prime.

Last night I left my rig on for 8 hours no problem priming at 3.65 GHz, so that is looking like the max on my chip. 3.65 GHz at 1.55 actual vcore.

Ishakir said:
AWESOME OC!!

I have the same problem with my e6600, I crash almost instantaneously when I go anything above 3.2ghz. Right now I'm stable at 400x8 and I was wondering if you could tell me what you did exactly to get her to go higher. Also, what stepping did you end up getting? I have one of those blasted 46Gs that are notorious for not budging, I'm half hoping there's some sort of secret to them and perhaps you've found it :)

Not to thread jack but, do you think it's safe to run 1.55-1.6V to the vcore on air? I move around A LOT so water cooling isn't the most practical thing for my situation.

What are your idle load temps at 1.55 vcore? Try 9 X 380 at 1.55vcore on air. As long as your load temps are below 64*C than I wouldnt be ultra worried. Personally I would keep high voltage air load temperatures in the low to mid 50 degree mark.

My E6600 week is 70 B2

I would say that there is definitely something wrong with your heatsink mount. 3.2 is relatively mild on these processors.

Also, try bumping up NB voltage and FSB term voltage.
Plus: DISABLE ALL CPU OPTIONS in the bios: "ie: C1E, Speedstep, TM2, etc. etc."

Let me know how it pans out.

Hey dominick32, have you ever run a P5W DH DLX with that E6600? I can't seem to even post with 425x8 but it will run 378x9 all day long. I knew these boards were not known for high fsb but I figured I could run 3400 with an 8 multi. What are you getting for a 1M Superpi run at that FSB? I'm wondering if it's even worth the extra FSB to try for 425? On a side note, why did you unload your phase change setup and go back to water, a little more simplistic setup I presume?

Back