• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best gaming keyboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leon123

I am looking into buying a new keyboard to be used primarily for gaming.

First, what do you guys recommend? I do not want to spend a ridiculous amount of money, but around $60 would be ok.

Also, I was looking at the Saitek Eclipses. What are the main differences between versions 1 and 2? I can get the 1 for $30, and the 2 for $60, and I am wondering what it is that justifies this vast price difference.

Thanks

I haven't found any gaming keyboards which I have tried (Z-Board, Saitek Eclipse, Logitech G15) to be any better (for me) than a decent M$ or Logitech office one. I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, but makes sure you have a decent mouse and an icemat or similar before you shell out on the keyboard.

Well, I have a Copperhead and a G5, so I am pleased with my mice currently. I don't have any good mice pads though. I didn't think that they were very important. What are some nice mice pads to go along with the copperhead?

IMHO the Saitek eclipse II will spank the logitech g15 for everything except mmo gaming where the g15's programmable keys come in handy. What makes a gaming keyboard to me is good construction and good non clicky keys. Lights are not a big deal to me and IMHO the keys on a saitek beat everything out there currently except for the old school IBM model M. However IMHO the IBM is to loud for gaming although the keys feel really good.

Note that this was typed on both a saitek eclipse II and a logitech g15. I also have an IBM model M too.

BossBorot said:
IMHO the Saitek eclipse II will spank the logitech g15 for everything except mmo gaming where the g15's programmable keys come in handy. What makes a gaming keyboard to me is good construction and good non clicky keys. Lights are not a big deal to me and IMHO the keys on a saitek beat everything out there currently except for the old school IBM model M. However IMHO the IBM is to loud for gaming although the keys feel really good.

Note that this was typed on both a saitek eclipse II and a logitech g15. I also have an IBM model M too.

How would you know if you have the model M. I have an IBM keyboard that I have used for a long time and it has served me VERY well. I love the feel. IBM thinkpads ftw too!

Well, do you guys think that the difference between the Eclipse 1 and 2 is worth $30? I am leaning towards getting a 2, but I dont know how to justify it to myself.

The saitek is damn nice but thought you should know that if you have it right in front of your screen the light makes it harder to see the numbers and letters on your keyboard. If it's at least 1'1\2 -2 feet away your ok.

I just use a plain old keyboard; does the trick for me. All I would want anyway is one of those macro pad things.

IAmMoen said:
How would you know if you have the model M. I have an IBM keyboard that I have used for a long time and it has served me VERY well. I love the feel. IBM thinkpads ftw too!

Very easily... flip it over and there will be a paper/plastic coated label on the bottom that should someplace say "Model M", it's specific part number and it's date of birth (along with IBM's 1984 copyright). A little loud for most, but truly ideal for gaming... no accidental WinKey presses, and you always know (by feel and by click) when you have pressed a key. Another thing that is really great, is you can have all of your fingers resting on a key ready to press, and it wont go down until you actually exert force on it... on other keyboards, you have to sorta poise your finger over it, exerting some effort to not accidentally let the key travel down. The Model M's mechanical key-press mechanism will fully hold the weight of all but the heaviest fingers on it at rest without the key pressing.

:)

And of course, the keyboards will last decades easily - as many already have... the date of birth on yours will tell you how old yours is - and if yours is a Model M, it is probably at least a decade old... possibly over 2 decades (if it's not, it may not have a date of birth, but just part info or a part number). Mine have outlasted many machines each.

-Robert

Back