• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt droop and psu question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtwinlvr

Registered
Im questioning whether my psu is holding me back on my OC. Its rated at 40a on the 5v, 24a on the 12v, and 32a on the 3.3v rails. I notice in the easytuner5, that the vcoreA shows 1.33v, and the cpuvid shows 1.35v. Bios is set at 1.356v. When using TAT or other tests, it drops to 1.30 on the vcoreA. Excessive for a Core2duo or no? Current psu is a truecontrol 550 from antec. Cpu-Z reports vcore at 1.312. Intel box says 1.35v. So which is right?

Last edited:
How much droop is normal though? I know P4's had stability issues when their vcore dropped so much. I watched the 12v rail drop almost .25 while benching. How much are some of you guys seeing of a drop with better PSUs with the 8800s and a C2D system clocked?

systemhost said:
Standard ATX says +/-5%.

Systemhost,

That's true but if you have a power supply that checks at the 5% tolerance on the 12v rail at 11.4v under load, you have a problem. There is something wrong. If you have a power supply that is jumping around from 11.5v to 12v on the 12v rail under load, and tecnically still within the 5% tolerance, you have a problem. Something isn't right.

I had two Antec TP 480s that jumped around from 11.7v to 12.1v and their capacitors were going. They still were in the ATX tolerances but it was an indication something was not right and sure enough, it wasn't. All checks were made with a DMM and not from using software.

Back