• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DirectX 10 Laptops...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nathan0490

Conroe Hoe
I'm starting college this Fall Semester (August) and have started to look around for a laptop. I'm 17 years old and love to game so I thought I would get a laptop that has some graphics processing capabilities :).

So far the only 2 Laptops that I have seen available to the US with DirectX 10 capabilities at this time are the 2 ASUS models, the Asus G1S-A1, and the Asus F3SV-B1. The main differences between these two is that the first has the snazzy looking external design as well as the 8600GT, while the second has the 8600GS and the less cool looking exterior. So now my questions regarding these 2 models are... how much better performing is the GT over the GS, and is the cooling on the G1 superior to the F3SV, and are there any other differences between the two? And my three overall concerns are Battery Life, Weight, and Inability to get Accidental Damage Coverage like you could when purchasing a laptop from a place like Dell. Are Dell's DirectX 10 laptops right around the corner?

Asus G1S-A1 - 6.83 lb. w/ 8 Cell Batt.
00399408.jpg

Asus F3SV-B1 - 6.5 lb. w/ 6 Cell Batt.
f3s4bb3.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know which laptops are coming out with the 2600XT?

Thx.

Last edited:
Is there any way to bring up your current setup? Cause I went through this exact thing a year ago. I bought a Toshiba P100-9612 last August so that I would not have to bring my desktop up. I paid about 3200 total...with 4 yr warranty. That quickly went down hill as the 7900GTX on board started having problems, was in the shop 4 TIMES!! :eek::eek: AND STILL WAS NOT FIXED, even though they literally replaced every part in the laptop. The fan refused to turn on until the GPU CORE REACHED 125c...yes CELCIUS. I'd say just get a laptop for portability and battery life (like classes) and just game on your current setup. I really don't want you to end up in the same boat as me...

It turns out the problem is a design issue with their laptops...and they don't know how to fix it...still waiting on an answer...*sigh*...I'm never buying anything retail again.

Oh and anything with a "good" graphics card is the portable version. Much less powerful than its desktop counterpart. My 7800GT (when I had one) beat out my 7900GTX Go hands down. Battery life...with a 7900GTX...2 hours max...and that is if the screen is closed and nothing is running. If ingame, you will get about 45 mins...not bad but not worth the money and hassle.

thideras, i understand what your saying although that sounds like a problem with that particular model. I have thought about just going with something that has good battery life, havent come to a decision yet.

I went through the same thing last year. Bought laptop for school. Ended up breaking down and buying a desktop. I would get something cheap to take to classes. Honestly though, I go to OSU and am in the Fisher college of business and I very rarely find the need to take notes with a computer and rarely see anyone bring a laptop to class. Sometimes I see people with tablet pc's but that is about it. I would not even buy a laptop and just bring your desktop. Just my opinion though. Good luck at school!

Back