• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[NEWS] OCZ Purchases PC Power & Cooling !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
This just in:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2007/222

PC Power & Cooling Joins the OCZ Technology Group

Sunnyvale, Calif.—May 25, 2007—OCZ today announced immediate plans to bring PC Power & Cooling into the OCZ Technology Group. As a worldwide leader in high performance computer hardware, OCZ acquired PC Power & Cooling to utilize their keen expertise in power management and take the organization to the next level. This compelling partnership between the two like-minded companies will create a powerful fusion of patented technologies, innovative, high quality PC components, and improved accessibility of premium solutions for customers worldwide. All parties, including the consumer, will benefit from the acquisition; the combined company is now situated to deliver ground-breaking power solutions to meet the growing demand for efficient, high performance components to power the computing needs of gaming, enthusiast, and mission-critical systems builders alike.

With OCZ and PC Power & Cooling joining forces, the result is a solid partnership aimed at delivering superior solutions to end-users. Combining technical strengths, R&D resources, and complementary proficiencies, the new OCZ Technology Group intends to go above and beyond consumer expectations in quality, service, and hi-tech leadership. As the time-honored frontrunner in best-in-class power solutions, only PC Power & Cooling can redefine and develop the market’s standards of performance, as it has done for the past twenty-two years since its inception in 1985. Previously, PC Power & Cooling solutions were only available to US customers through their online store and a few select resellers and retail outlets. Under the OCZ Technology Group, PC Power & Cooling products will gain the exposure of the established OCZ global channel, maximizing the availability of the reputable line to customers everywhere.

All OCZ and PC Power & Cooling product lines will benefit from the new collaboration efforts. Moving forward, PC Power & Cooling’s complete line of power supplies will become the premium-grade PSU collection from OCZ, and will continue to be branded under the PC Power & Cooling brand. In addition to combining current product lines, the focus of OCZ and PC Power & Cooling is to take innovation and industry leadership to new heights. As the founder and CEO of PCP&C, Doug Dodson, moves into the position of Chief Technology Officer at OCZ, the integration of his expertise will set new standards for OCZ product development and innovation. OCZ’s popular high performance memory modules, PSUs, and flash memory will continue to evolve ahead of the times and stay attuned to the needs of the industry. The outcome is a greatly differentiated range of OCZ and PCP&C solutions available worldwide that addresses the complete spectrum of applications.

“OCZ and PC Power & Cooling are both technology leaders that share a common passion for delivering premium solutions to consumers,” said Ryan Petersen, CEO of OCZ Technology Group. “By bringing these two established companies together we are able to leverage the strengths of each organization and accelerate the development of cutting edge products for a variety of markets. We believe that collectively OCZ and PC Power & Cooling will build on our combined heritage to revolutionize high end computing."

"As an expansion partner, I believe we have found in OCZ the ideal fit for the culture and approach of PC Power & Cooling," said Doug Dodson, founder and CEO of PCP&C. "In my new role as Chief Technology Officer, I will focus on maintaining PC Power's lead in proven ultra high-performance with the Turbo-Cool line, and in value and quiet computing with the Silencer line, as well as provide guidance for the continuing improvement of OCZ's power management solutions. I am excited about the improved accessibility of PC Power & Cooling products and I am confident that our rich tradition of reliability and innovation will continue to strengthen as a part of the OCZ Technology Group."

Building on a shared understanding and mutual enthusiasm for leading-edge computer technology, OCZ and PC Power & Cooling will seamlessly unify to represent the pinnacle of performance. Look for all of OCZ Technology Group's current and future products in its worldwide network of distributors, e-tailers, and retail stores.

About OCZ Technology Group, Inc.

OCZ Technology Group, a member of JEDEC, designs, develops and manufactures innovative, high-performance memory and computer components that set industry standards. OCZ products are the first choice for users needing high-reliability, ultra-high performance solutions. In May 2007, PC Power & Cooling was brought into the OCZ Technology Group, forming a partnership that places the organization at the forefront of high-end computing. All of OCZ Technology Group's products are available through its worldwide network of distributors, online resellers and retail stores. For more information visit our website at http://www.ocztechnology.com

About PC Power & Cooling

Over the last 22 years, PC Power & Cooling has produced many innovative computer products including: the first CPU cooler, the first PC heat alarm, the first independently-regulated PC power supply, the first redundant power system, the first NVIDIA® SLI™ certified supply, the first One Kilowatt computer power supply, and the first power supply with its own certified test report (Turbo-Cool 1KW). In May 2007, PC Power & Cooling was brought into the OCZ Technology Group, forming a partnership that places the combined organization at the forefront of the high-performance computing industry.

OCZ Technology
Jessica Luken
(408)733-8400 x226
[email protected]

PC Power & Cooling

Ryan Edwards
(800)722-6555 x108
[email protected]
*Thanks to SKYMTL & JonnyGURU.com for the info!

Last edited:
Man, who saw this coming. Let's hope that PCP&C supplies stay separate, I think I trust them a bit more than OCZ stuff. Maybe they will get cheaper? One can only hope :beer:

It would be nice if the price on the Turbocool units dropped as a result of this. It would be a shame if the 3Y built Evostream units are killed off as a result.

I wonder if PC power &cooling will be keeping their name or will become OCZ

Super Nade said:
It would be a shame if the 3Y built Evostream units are killed off as a result.

I've actually been feeling kind of apathetic towards those lately - they're unquestionably good, but I like Win-Tact build quality a bit better. Of course, the unit in my sig and the 11 shades of awesomeness coming out of Ultra/Andyson lately might have something to do with that apathy too ;)

I don't see the Turbocools getting much cheaper honestly - WT is a fairly low volume OEM from what I've heard.

Last edited:
What I do see is that these WT units may morph into something quieter or go modular. I do foresee a lot of bling added to PCP&C.

PCP&C is a fairly successful and marketable brand-name. I don't see OCZ changing that anytime soon.

There is some more news and some questions and answers from OCZ people here at DailyTech in the article and the comments. Here's a few quotes from there:

azander said:
Hi Pauldovi, thats a totally legitimate concern anytime there is a acquistion of this type, and I appreicate you bringing it up. We are not making any changes whatsoever to the PC Power & Cooling lineup. Doug from PC Power is also now devoting all his time to bringing out even better next generation units.

There also exists the OCZ lineup of PSU's which the PC Power team is actually helping to improve at the core level to make them even better. The OCZ lineup will continue to exist and be positioned from mainstream to gamer and entry enthusiast. The PC Power solutions remain purely enthusiast, server, and commerical. This combination allows us to address the complete range of consumers and provide products like the GameXStream to hard core gamers, and the PC Power TurboCool for mission critical applications.

OCZryan said:
Hi guys

I know our CMO has been posting , But I did want to put emphasis on the fact that we feel this deal will help OCZ to develop more robust and advanced PSU's in terms of technology , Which will be marketed under both brands.

Doug and myself are both hardware enthusiasts ( as those who know me from XS and BE can attest) who want to deliver the best products on the market , thats why we decided to move foward with this .

While we will not lower the quality of any of our products will always try to produce a midline product that will offer a good price/performance ratio

Looking foward to making even better products in the future , ( and for those who care we intend the market the hell out of them )

Thanks for your support !!

Ryan Petersen , CEO
OCZ Technology Group Inc.

So it looks like at least for now, they will keep the PCP&C line the same as now and under their name and will look to help make the OCZ psu's even better than they are now. I think this will work out ok for us, the consumer as it might make the price of the PCP&C products drop a little in the long run.

Wow. Unexpected indeed. I also agree that this will help both companies. PC P&C will benefit from marketing and some "Bling" like Nade said, and OCZ will benefit with improvements to their PSU's (which are very good PSU's IMO, but had a few too many warranty claims/failed units for a PSU in that price range)

:cool:

I think this is great news for both companies, more financial expansion for PC P&C and better build quality and knowledge for OCZ. At the moment, it seems no-one loses, we will have to see though

Yeah I stumbled on that story over at the Daily Tech Report through the Google news page. I just got a PCP&C Silencer 610 a couple of weeks ago.

I like both companies and own products from both. Let's hope quality stays #1 in this union.

I hope this means I can get a PC P&C modular PSU with a totally massive single 12v rail. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for that.

But it would also be nice if this is a financially positive move for both companies, it would be a shame if either one were to suffer.

I've got mixed feelings on this. I liked PCP&C as an independant company but I trust OCZ as being a solid company also. I think in the end, from reading responses by OCZ, that this will be s good thing. Top PCP&C PSUs will still stay under their banner with a small sub title added such as "An OCZ company". All mid range PSUs will be OCZ.

Although as I become older and more resistant to change, I can't really see this as a bad move. Having been a PC P&C user for a long time, I figure that now they've dumped the cases and some other items that didn't really sell that well, a merger of these two has an awful lot of potential.

It took me almost 3 weeks to find out about this...man, I must have spent way too much time lately chasing Crucial Ballistix deals across the web and overlooking everything else.

Ran across this today and then came looking for threads...knowing you guys weren't asleep at the wheel like I was.

Interview: OCZ Reveals New PSU Market Strategy

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/ocz-pcpc-interview.html

It will be very interesting to see how this develops.

Edit:
Maybe it is just me, but I would have thought that this topic would have gotten more interest around here than the few posts in this thread.

I guess I need to read more :(
I ordered a 750 from Pcpower on the 30th of June, and finally got the order tracking YESTERDAY :( I no not what is wrong, but the old Pcpower used to be reliable, right now, "in my eyes" they are absolutely horrible.

To top it off, I was email'd yesterday with a statement that they had upgraded my order to Fedex 2day, but Lo and Behold, fedex shows ground, with an arrival time of the 11th. So, after messing up on thier end, they Claim to send it faster after 5 days,( big deal), and yet even that is not as claimed. PCPower and Cooling just lost a customer here. I used to swear by them. Then this....

Edit; I should have stated above, that I was promised on the 3rd of July that the supply would ship then, but that was but a lie. I had to call yet again on the 5th to get the process rolling again, and then, it was finally shipped in the Late evening. This type or "service" is not what we pay for. Again, I am not trying to knock the company, but am stating facts as to reliability. They Used to be good.

Last edited:
Back