• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have researched: My conclusion...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enven

Well, its that time again to upgrade, I have been putting it off since September hoping to figure out what I wanted to buy...I procrastinated and its almost June!

So I am here to get some input on my decision; what I will buy for a mobo...and the additional parts I will purchase with it...

First and foremost the mother board discussion! (That is why I posted here..)

I am an Asus fan, always have been...

Since early November I have noticed the release of new Asus motherboards that have caught my attention, since then I have found even more...

-

Asus P5WD2-deluxe and the P5B...as well, the P5K models which are slowly popping up for purchase...

I for one am looking for something fully reliable, and lasting long enough to enjoy, as well...Overclock and tweak to all hell!

My personal decision was the P5WD2...but I am still hesitant!

I need some healthy advice!

---------------

I will also be purchasing:

core duo 2 - e6700 or 6600
Cooling: Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
I would have bought a Zalman but they have fans endorsed by a bag of douche..and douche baggary is not allowed on my rig.

Memory: OCZ El DDR 3200 - 4gb (platinum) Or corsair twin x...I like ocz' a lot..so I might just shoot for them.

Video Card: 7900GT (OC it!) BFG ...I think the 8800 is not worth the penny; I usually go all out on video cards...But this time I feel like stepping back, it seems unnecessary to purchase something worth 500 bucks when most games run stable on the 7900...

HD: I have four Raptor HD's...Raid em...

Sound: Audigy 2 zs Platinum..works for me.

As for case/cooling: I might smash into a Chenmig case I have laying around and put two 120mm "Delta" fans...and a couple 80's...

DVD/DVD RW...and I have an LCD display I plan on using in the front of the desktop (Fits the 3.5" bay...)

Overall...I think that will be good enough for a while.

Price on Q6600 will drop by half in end of July.

Around that same time we should see ASUS mobo with Intel chipset X38 mobos as well.

So just wait a month.

As far as video card, end of the year Nvidia will have something new again.

AFAIK the P5WD2's are not compatible with current intel processors. So you want a P965 or a P35 board, I recommend the Asus P5B's or DFI Infinity P965 if you're kinda tight on budget. But if you are to get an Asus P5B-Deluxe I would rather get the P5K, newer and supports the upcoming Penryn procs.

But if you could wait a couple more months, you could get a quad for $266. :)

"Memory: OCZ El DDR 3200"

umm you're kidding, right? must be a typo

just get a 6420 for $187 at newegg

BLOOP! said:
AFAIK the P5WD2's are not compatible with current intel processors. So you want a P965 or a P35 board, I recommend the Asus P5B's or DFI Infinity P965 if you're kinda tight on budget. But if you are to get an Asus P5B-Deluxe I would rather get the P5K, newer and supports the upcoming Penryn procs.

But if you could wait a couple more months, you could get a quad for $266. :)

You could wait forever tbh i would just buy the p965 deluxe wifi,buy a e600 2gb of geil ultra low latency and a 8800gts cheap,powerful,overclockable and to be honest all you need to play any game now or for the next few months including dx10 games such as crysis "no way the devs are going to scrimp on optimization on this game" and you can always buy a 7900 or whatever come along next at a later date,hell i'll even buy the 8800gts off you to replace my 7900gs :O)

Oh and just like the P5w dh deluxe now supports 1333mhz fsb processors so will the P5b deluxe so P35 is just unnesescary expense atm imo

Back