• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI P965-S memory voltage and random restarts.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mysterfix

Well I got my new system up and running but if I set the ram voltage to 2.25 or above my computer will boot into windows, shutdown and restart. It seems to be getting worse as it was only doing this at 2.3v and above.

The higher the ram voltage the quicker it shuts down. :bang head

Has anyone else heard of this happening before? I'm thinking I need to rma the board but I'm hoping it's just something else causing the problem.

I also posted this on the new DFI forums, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Well my memeory is spec'd for 2.0v-2.1v at default settings and this board under volts the memory by .11-.15v. I have it set to 2.225v right now and my actual voltage measured with a DMM is 2.1v. I haven't tried to boot at my current settings with lower voltage but I know my ram won't go above 1000mhz at this voltage.

Thanks for the link ODB, it looks like treepop has the same issue on his board as me. I hope this isn't a common problem with this board or else I'm gonna be seriuosly bummed out.

This sounds to me like the OC is to high. Is there a divider for the ram on this mobo?

treepop said:
On a side note...I have finally attained stability on my computer! My problem was ram voltage!?:bang head I Have crucial ballistix which has been said to be D9 and is rated at 2.2 volts So I of course set my ram to 2.3 and 333fsb. Within 1 second of stress testing CRASH! I found that my ram runs better at 1.9 volts (stock voltage for the dfi p965-s) then at 2.3!????? I thought micron D9 loved the voltage! I don't think cooling is the issue, since it crashes SO fast. I could be wrong.

Anywho I am running it with stock cooling at 300x8 = 2.4ghz 1.9 vdimm and stock everything else :)

I can't wait till the ultra 120 extreme is in stock...I am looking to hit 3.6ghz :santa:
Quoted from http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=509262&page=4

Treepop is only running @ 2.4 you are running 3.6. You may be suffering from the same problem but I don't think so. Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
killermiller said:
This sounds to me like the OC is to high. Is there a divider for the ram on this mobo?

Quoted from http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=509262&page=4

Treepop is only running @ 2.4 you are running 3.6. You may be suffering from the same problem but I don't think so. Let us know what you find.
I've tested it on 6x and 7x multi and with the ram running at default speeds. I suppose it could be my PSU, I'll run some tests on that this evening to see if that could be the problem.

Well just got done retesting the board with only the bare minimum plugged in at default settings and only the memory voltage bumped up to 2.3v. Started up orthos and got a reboot in under 2 minutes. The board has been very stable during all other testing so I think it's time to RMA the board.

Nope, no errors in memtest. I should also mention that testing was done on 32 bit XP and x64 Vista and both give the same results.

why dont you post your bios settings for cpu and ram. btw, this motherboard doesnt really like too much voltages.

bail_w said:
why dont you post your bios settings for cpu and ram. btw, this motherboard doesnt really like too much voltages.
p965ssettingscu4.png

I don't think 2.2v is too much to ask from an overclockers board, 2.3v set in bios gives me 2.2v actual.

Back