• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM2 over clocking, the cheaper the chip the better the OC??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

AM2 over clocking the cheaper the chip the better the OC??

I am new to your forms and I have been searching and looking at all the different OCings that you all are doing.

It seems that the AM2 3600+ OC the best for you guys. You get the chip at 1.9 and OC to 2.9-3.0 or more.

I have a AM2 3800+ 65w that I have over clocked to 2.3 from 2.0. I see that some people over clock it to about 2.7 when bumping the voltage up to about 1.4 ( i think). I have a Asus m2npv-vm Mobo that wont allow me to bump the voltage up on the chip so I can over clock any more.

So my next move is to get a different mobo so I can push it farther.
this is the one i'm looking at.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130071

and now I'm thinking that I should buy a 3600+ AM2 chip cause it will OC better then the 3800+ AM2.

whats your thoughts? And I assume that 65nm over clocks better than 90nm.

Yes the 65nm cores OC better and give out less heat allowing it to take more voltage with lower heat then 90nm. I'd personally get a new mobo as any mobo that disallows voltage bumps is lame =/ As for getting a new chip it depends if you feel you need more CPU power

how do you feel about that MSI mobo? And also should I go for a higher speed 65nm than the 3600+? you all seem to get the best over clocking with it. I mean come on going from 1.9 to 2.9-3.0 thats a sweet gain!

could you see pushing a 4800+ 2.5g am2 65nm to about 3.2-3.6 or so?

hank123 said:
how do you feel about that MSI mobo? And also should I go for a higher speed 65nm than the 3600+? you all seem to get the best over clocking with it. I mean come on going from 1.9 to 2.9-3.0 thats a sweet gain!

could you see pushing a 4800+ 2.5g am2 65nm to about 3.2-3.6 or so?
I cant see that hapening , most amd chips ahve problems over 3.1-3,2ish . but from what I have seen the 3600+ 's are clocking relly good i would love to play with one

If you enjoy MicroATX I am REALLY pleased with my Biostar TF7050. It has great features, 7.1 HD Audio, integrated 7050 GPU, PCI-E and all the overclocking options you will need.

This board is working out great for me.

Denbob99 said:
I'd personally get a new mobo as any mobo that disallows voltage bumps is lame =/

Heard that... thanks ECS... or not. :-/ I'm looking for a new mobo for my brisbane too. Of course, I'm looking hard at a DFI SLI-570. ;)

when did you get the 3800+ cause 2.3 isn't very much, im having some temp problems atm but i normally run whats in my sig, but right now im doing 2.6ghz @1.25v i find it hard to believe you can only do 2.3 at 1.35v unless you get a very very very very bad chip? :S seems like something else is at fault

and i guess you hear alot of the 3600+ brisbanes going to 2.9-3ghz is because they're the cheapest so alot more people buy them, which means more chance of good overclocks etc, also and oc of 2.6ghz to 2.9-3ghz sounds nowhere near as impressive as a 1.9-2.9-3ghz overclock.

so its true - the 3600 will OC better than .. say something like the FX62?
nobody here likes the unlocked multi's anymore ? are they a thing of the past ?

hank123 said:
AM2 over clocking the cheaper the chip the better the OC??

I am new to your forms and I have been searching and looking at all the different OCings that you all are doing.

It seems that the AM2 3600+ OC the best for you guys. You get the chip at 1.9 and OC to 2.9-3.0 or more.

I have a AM2 3800+ 65w that I have over clocked to 2.3 from 2.0. I see that some people over clock it to about 2.7 when bumping the voltage up to about 1.4 ( i think). I have a Asus m2npv-vm Mobo that wont allow me to bump the voltage up on the chip so I can over clock any more.

So my next move is to get a different mobo so I can push it farther.
this is the one i'm looking at.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130071

and now I'm thinking that I should buy a 3600+ AM2 chip cause it will OC better then the 3800+ AM2.

whats your thoughts? And I assume that 65nm over clocks better than 90nm.

The 3800's stock clock is 2.4.. :confused:

Anyway, yea, the 65nm's clock much better than the 90nms'. Id say get a new motherboard, if yours doesn't allow volt changing, your losing about 1/2 your oc right there.

That and the 3800 65nm can be pushed pretty far. What CPU cooler are you using? I had my 3800 at 2.8 completely stable with really good temps.

siresword said:
so its true - the 3600 will OC better than .. say something like the FX62?
nobody here likes the unlocked multi's anymore ? are they a thing of the past ?
Not really - the speed records are still held by the old FXs, iirc. It's more of a bang for the buck issue, and what is now consistently good OCing across the cheaper chips.

Omsion said:
Not really - the speed records are still held by the old FXs, iirc. It's more of a bang for the buck issue, and what is now consistently good OCing across the cheaper chips.
okayy i get it
so if i wanted to see as high as i could get - the FX would be a better choice ?

ps2cho said:
If you enjoy MicroATX I am REALLY pleased with my Biostar TF7050. It has great features, 7.1 HD Audio, integrated 7050 GPU, PCI-E and all the overclocking options you will need.

This board is working out great for me.

hm, ur TF7050, when attach with big GFX 1 1/2 or 2 slot , do still got room for 1 PCI?

i thought all amds topped out at around the same spot, between 2.8-3.1, or at least thats how it used to be in the 939 days, i would assum that would still apply. tho with the 6000, you would think that most of em would hit at least 3ghz with some volts, at least thats what i always hoped for when i ran with them :(

Serlant said:
when did you get the 3800+ cause 2.3 isn't very much, im having some temp problems atm but i normally run whats in my sig, but right now im doing 2.6ghz @1.25v i find it hard to believe you can only do 2.3 at 1.35v unless you get a very very very very bad chip? :S seems like something else is at fault

and i guess you hear alot of the 3600+ brisbanes going to 2.9-3ghz is because they're the cheapest so alot more people buy them, which means more chance of good overclocks etc, also and oc of 2.6ghz to 2.9-3ghz sounds nowhere near as impressive as a 1.9-2.9-3ghz overclock.

Oh ya I got it to 2.4 but it becomes unstable. It will run windows and it will run OK for 15 mins to 2 hours.

Backed it down to 2.35 and same thing. went all the way down to 2.3 and its like a rock. I know if I could bump the voltage up to 1.4 it would be fine. I think theres a few issues that play into the hold me not being able to OC very far. Mobo being 1 and Kingston value ram being 2. although I have gotten the Kingston to OC way over 800 MHZ and run alright. Its DDR2 667 by the way.

g14novak said:
The 3800's stock clock is 2.4.. :confused:

Anyway, yea, the 65nm's clock much better than the 90nms'. Id say get a new motherboard, if yours doesn't allow volt changing, your losing about 1/2 your oc right there.

That and the 3800 65nm can be pushed pretty far. What CPU cooler are you using? I had my 3800 at 2.8 completely stable with really good temps.

um its just the 65w AM2 3800+. I didn't know they made a 65nm AM2 3800+. Stock cooling and its says cool OC to 2.3. It wont go any higher than 42 Celsius and thats with both cores loaded up to 100% for over 10 mins.

:welcome:
Have you found the HT divider (Listed as LDT or K8-NB on some boards).
Set it to 4X leave the CPU multi on Auto or the highest it will go which I think is 9. You ram should be at 800 when you reach 2.4G cpu on the 667 MEM divider.

AlabamaCajun said:
:welcome:
Have you found the HT divider (Listed as LDT or K8-NB on some boards).
Set it to 4X leave the CPU multi on Auto or the highest it will go which I think is 9. You ram should be at 800 when you reach 2.4G cpu on the 667 MEM divider.

hey friend.

Ya thats the thing my mobo a ASUS m2npv-vm wont let me change crap. I can change the CPU multi the highest it will go is x10 thats also the Auto set. I can change the ram voltage to 1.9 and thats about it.

Back