• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam crash on startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobthemoo

I have an odd problem which has just occured and that is Steam won't load.

Whenever I click the .exe I get the "Connecting to Steam Account: [Username]" message then a windows error message comes up. I've tried googling this problem but that didn't work. I also tried deciphering the error message but it made no sense to me at all.

Anyone know the problem or how to solve it? I'd prefer not to reinstall

Thanks

-Bob

Fr3@k3r said:
have you tried deleting your clientregistry.blob ?

No, I decided to go ahead and reinstall. I have HL2 back up now. I copied my SteamApps folder, reinstalled the game and replaced the new SteamApps folder with my old one.

Anyone know if it's possible to reuse the save game files? When I load HL2 up, it says that there aren't any saved games

bobthemoo said:
No, I decided to go ahead and reinstall. I have HL2 back up now. I copied my SteamApps folder, reinstalled the game and replaced the new SteamApps folder with my old one.

Anyone know if it's possible to reuse the save game files? When I load HL2 up, it says that there aren't any saved games

In your old HL2 folder there should be a folder for savegames, I'm sure you can find it if you look well enough. I don't remember where they are exactly located.

I backed mine up once, and reused them after a Win reinstall.

dan

Yeah I've found them but what I mean is that I can't access them from the HL2 menu

Hmm, I suppose I can just unlock all areas through the console.

Thanks anyway

works for me when I copy my steamapps folder
i recently started playing Hl2 again before I go play episode 1.
anyway I copied my steamapps then reformated, reinstalled steam, put the steamaps folder back after i shut off steam and I got all my saves for dark messiah, HL2 and whatever else.

Back