• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer won't boot!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
XP 1600+, AK31 v3.1, Leadtek GeForce2 Ti, OCZ PC2700 256 MB DDR... just put it together and get errors when trying to boot from floppy. Checked ide cable pin 1 on both mobo and fdd, tested floppy drive on another machine, switched to a different ide cable, scandisk on 2 bootdisks (Win 98SE & Win Me) and tested on another computer.

Bios: Fail-Safe Default settings
Floppy 1st boot device
Floppy swapping disabled
Floppy set as 1.44 MB

Drive reads and then gives a disk error. Insert system disk dialogue. Tried repeatedly, same thing or sometimes Disk I/O error.

I really want to get this thing working! I'm going to disconnect some hardware, and also try booting from a bootable cd. Hope it's not my floppy controller...

Advice?

Update

I just got the HDD partitioned and formatted. But I still can't get my FDD to read any disks. I had to use a bootable cd to get to fdisk and format exe's. I don't know what could be wrong with my floppy, cuz I've checked everything. I got it OEM, maybe it needs a driver? Anyway, I'm gonna have to have some1 look at it and figure this out. I'm about thru. Just need to see if I can get the Win2k setup disks onto a bootable cd. Maybe I'll just scrap using a FDD altogether. Cuz as far as I can tell, the controller must be broken.

Any help would be nice...

Will the floppy drive not read any floppies or will it just not boot from a particular floppy? If it will not read any floppy and everything works fine when installed on another computer then it sounds like you have a defective motherboard. If it is new I would recommend that you take it back and get a replacement.

I know this thread is old but I'm having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM right now!!! Arkaine23, how did you solve this problem??? I would really like to know plz....

might be that the floppy cable was upside down... Make sure pin one is toward power. My floppy drive just has the cable pins just sitting there, and nothing to guide the cable the right direction.. I know i made this mistake before..

Back