• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High CPU Temps Reported??? HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Able72

Hey everyone. I've just started my new rig, see the link in my sig for specifications.

I'm running a Thermalright Ultra 120 with a fan for cooling.

According to speed fan, I'm running 24C/24C core temps with 41C CPU at Idle.

Core Temp puts me at 40C/40C Idle

PCProbe II puts me at 41C Idle.

BIOS reports about 38C Idle.

My load temps under Orthos Push 55C

I've tried reseating the heatsink 3 times and I still get these kinds of results. AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!! :bang head :bang head :bang head :mad:

Any ideas??

If you think I should reseat the heatsink yet again, can you point to a link with directions??? I've never had this much trouble.

Assuming you have good air flow in your case and that nothing is overclocked yet...

I would check if your heatsink and CPU are very concave. You can do this if you apply a bit of thermal compound to the heatsink evenly and press it against a paper laid on a flat surface. Look for any "holes" in the imprint which may indicated it is concave. Do the same with the CPU. If this is so then obviously you should look into lapping it at least the heatsink, although I would recommend doing the CPU too. After lapping both my old Zalman 9500 heatsink and my CPU my temps droppped nearly 10C.

I've lapped the heatsink already. I'm very nervous about lapping the CPU. Like not comfrotable kind of nervous.

Hmmmm.

So those temps I'm reporting are definetly high?

How did you lap the heatsink? I found that my Ultra 120 was kind of tricky to lap because of it's extreme height making it easy to roll it on it it's edge inadvertently when I lapped mine. I had to make sure to hold the heatpipes right next to the base itself to keep it from chattering on the edges. But getting a decent lap job on my Ultra 120 made a giant performance difference in my case. The base finish on my U-120 was really bad, with a machining ridge left on one side and being pretty severely concave. I had to take a file to knock off the ridge, then a few hours of lapping with successively finer wet-or-dry paper to get it right. For a lapping surface I use a 16" X 20" X 3/8" piece of plate glass that I have.

But yes, those temps sound high for an U-120 and with your proc at stock speed to me.

I held the heatsink at the base, like you I found it difficult to not rock the heatsink otherwise. Held it at the base and sanded it slowly on first 600 grit till I got all the ridges off the bottom. I could feel these with my thumb nail they were so bad. Then when I was down to copper all over and the base had a "even look" to the finish, I switched to 1200 grit and continued to sand till I got a nice even 'fuzzy' mirror finish. I couldn't find any 2000 grit and didn't want to mess with polishing chemicals.

But if those temps are high, as I suspected they were, then I'll get the supplies I need to lap the heatsink again. Any idea what I should use to remove the thermal paste that is on the bottom of the heatsink and the cpu?

I find using something like Xylene (paint thinner) or even naphtha (zippo lighter fluid), followed by isopropyl alcohol to be a good way to clean AS5 off.

One other thing you can check is to see if (or how bad) the IHS is off being flat on your processor too. If it's very bad, you might want to just RMA it back to Intel instead of lapping it. But if you decide to lap it, it shouldn't be too hard I would think. I haven't lapped an IHS since the old P3 Tualatin days but at least with LGA 775 there are no little pins to accidentally bend.

An interesting side note, CPUZ Identifies my C2D E4300 as having a Conroe Core. Could this be correct?

Ok, just for S&G's I reseated the heatsink one more time. This time I read the AS5 directions from their website. These are the temps I'm now getting as reported by Core Temp 0.95 and SpeedFan

Core Temp 0.95

Idle: 38C/38C
Load: 55C/55C (I have to run 4 instances of Orthos to get there)

SpeedFan

Idle: 25C/25C
Load: 40C

Seems to have knocked a couple of *C off. Curing over the next few days should knock off a couple more *C.

With Ambient around 20*C using a Thermalright Ultra 120 do those temps look right? or do they still seem high?

Back