• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sooner03

Registered
I'm about to buy a new system and turn my old one into a HTPC. Stats as follows:
NF7-S Rev 2
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
2GB Corsair PC3200
2) 200GB Sata HD in Raid 0
ATI X800XT Graphics Card

I'd like to buy some more HD space to store HD content. Then pick up the new Hauppage 1600 PVR Tuner. I'm basically going to use this for recording over-the-air HD shows, particularly ABC due to them fighting with my local cable company and so i dont have it on cable. I'm also ripping my standard def DVDs onto hard drives. I'd possibly like to you FFDShow to upscale them to 1080i. I do have an HDTV. Which will be connected to the PC through a DVI --> HDMI cable.

Will my processor be able to handle this or am i dreaming? Thanks for any help.

What would you recommend the minumum CPU speed be? I'm kind of on a budget since i'm already building a new system.

Around $200. I've almost resigned myself to waiting a month or two to purchase. I'll also have to buy RAM and a new video card most likely.

yes, you'll need a low end dual core (to be safe) even just for OTA HD contents. and be sure you buy as much HD space as you can afford!!

e.g. this past weekend's Indy500 race, a bit over 3 hrs long (213mins recorded) weight in nearly 30GB (29.67GB)!!! a single NFL game will be 20+GB!!!

Back