• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My XP Pro Keeps Locking Up After Start-Up Occasionally

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

My newly built system is locking up about 10 mins after starting up I have a few pieces of hardware that might be the problem. I'm currently using 2x 256mb PC2700 Elixar brand memory has my Geil 2GB is on it's way back from RMA I managed to buy a faulty pack.

And when trying to re-install XP Pro my motherboard did not like the Elixar chips in Slot 1 & 2 and would crash at 79% on the XP set-up install screen. I moved them to Slot 3 & 4 and all was well but it sometimes will lock-up on me & my speakers make this awful noise when it does.

The 2nd thing could be the really cheap 500w non-branded PSU I've got sometimes when I switch it on at the back of it. My wireless reciever for my keyboard & mouse flashes and so does the LED light on the board inside my casing and it wouldn't power-up. Unless I switch it off again and push up the PSU and then it works this sounds like it but then again it could be both don't you think.

Also sometimes if I'm doing something what seems to be rough on the PC like have My Documents open or maybe load IE6 (IE7 keeps crashing). It would just restart by it's self I cancelled out my CPU & the heatsink not levelled out or too much paste etc since I have to screw down 2 screws at either side to hold it in place. I even used a spirit level to make sure that they where level with each other and I didn't tighting them to hard.

Have you tried a fresh install with just the bare minimum of RAM and components installed?

AngelfireUk83 said:
Also sometimes if I'm doing something what seems to be rough on the PC like have My Documents open or maybe load IE6 (IE7 keeps crashing). It would just restart by it's self
Wait, your saying that having My Documents open and loading IE6 is stressful?!

Anyway, it sounds like it could be the PSU or mem, can you post a picture or specs from the psu sticker?

Yes I will get one up here ASAP I've decided not to use my PC and wait till I get a better 1.

PSU I've been looking itno that Hiper 580w Typr-R series with the removable cables that are not in use it's only £55 so I hope that will provided the right power for my rig.

With me adding a 8600GT or GTS would the 580w be enought to run everything below and the 8600GT card. It's all I need to upgrade and I am doen for another 2-3 years probably keep it and build a quad core system.

Back