• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Command and Conquer 3 forum bans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

No... I'm not banned at the CnC 3 forums. :) However, I found something a bit shocking... first some background. If you buy this game, you have to register it to your EA account when you play online. From that point on, it is your game and you cannot sell it. If you do something folks don't like (either you disconnect from a game or you hack the game), you are permanently banned.

I can yearn for the days of old when you could actually sell a game that you owned (not that I would... I usually don't sell my games). Makes internet problems have a bit more of an edge to them, eh? However, this isn't the main focus of this thread.

No no... tell me if the following is ok... remember, your game is tied your EA account which is used to post on the CnC 3 forums...

Hey guys,

Abusing the forums with large font, moving banners, and extremely inappropriate language and conduct will lead to an IP ban on your account and permanent account ban on your online C&C 3 multiplayer account.

As noted in the Terms of Service (click the link at the bottom of this page in the footer), your actions can revoke your right to participate in EA Online and have your account terminated.

We do not wish to do this, so please, respect these forums.

We will get patch 1.05 news to you as soon as possible, and we will get the patch out as soon as possible, but that does not warrant these types of actions on our forums.

I hope we do not have to take this type of action for anyone but we need to protect our online community and all those who are here to talk constructively, have fun, and have the ability to understand.

If you are going to flame, then flame, but please keep it within the terms of service conduct and also understand we will maintain a constructive vibe here.

Thanks,
APOC
http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?sls=2&tstart=0&threadID=228738

Ok, so if you do something evil on the forums... you get banned from the forums... I understand that. Permanent ban from the forums might hurt in case you ever want to discuss other EA games... bu oh well... wait a second, banned from EVER playing CnC 3 online EVER just because you angered the forum gods? Also remember that this is a $50 to $60 game depending on the edition bought... a game that will turn into a coaster (in respect to online gameplay)!

What do you think about this? Is it something kinda disturbing? No, I won't get banned on their forums either way (actually, I don't post there), I just found that announcement shocking.

I'm not sure... but I tried logging into my EA account and I didn't find much helpful information there. The box does have a warning saying that the game must be registered to you upon purchase, similar to a Steam game having a warning about online registration.

I assume you could create a whole new EA account and post with that... but I don't know how far they would take this banning business. After all, you would still be under the same IP address (unless you took steps to ensure that you weren't).

EA Can suck my knob. I bought BF2142 off my brother in law and i cannot get the account moved or a new serial issued even after emailing them with proof of ownership as i told them the game was second hand,yet i sold my original copy of bf2142 on ebay and the lad who bought it off me got a new serial no problem,go figure!....

F**K $EA$ GAMES!

When they ban you... its basically the end of the road unless you some how get a good tech service guy that will unlock it for you again.

Main thing is just don't even tempt fate to get banned in some of those. Surely a perm ban is a little harsh, maybe a few days or a week ban would be something better.

I don't see a problem. It just looks to me like they are getting rid of the abusive, annoying forum-spammers.

Unless you use "large font, moving banners, and extremely inappropriate language and conduct", you shouldn't have a problem with it either.

Also, keep in mind that customers purchase the right to use software. People cannot buy the software itself though. Almost every piece of software has been this way for years. Just read the EULA sometime.

I never intended to play CNC3 online anyways and while forum trolls and soapbox naysayers for games that arent fatally flawed turn my stomach, a permaban from the game for breaking the forum rules does seem a bit harsh.

Actually its almost as bad as SOE locking anyone who hadnt already bought the game out of the SWG forums after release so you couldnt research the product and see the thousands upon thousands of posts about how borked the game was.

Back