• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget Gaming card for Vista?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluenotebacker

I'm still building my new rig (1st timer) and looking for something cheap ($50 or less) I can thrown in just to get the thing running until I can afford the card I want (7900gs is at the top of my budget planning- be another couple months before I can afford even that)

Any suggestions?

You would definitely want to go with the gigabyte as its the 128bit card compared to evga's 64bit, and that will make a world of difference. I had one, and they will OC like crazy as well.

i'd go with nandro on this one. gigabyte out of those two. Maybe you could look at a 128Mb card you would get more pixel pipes...maybe less memory for more pipes....just an idea.

look around for some used equipment. there are 7600 series cards going for just over that here and there. if you are going new, i say go with the gigabyte as well :)

good luck!

-ryan

Regardless, its worth a bit more to get the 128bit. believe me it will make a world of difference. If you go used make sure it iss at least 128bit as well.

Definately avoid the 7300GT. I just tested it against my x1600 pro that i got for 30 bucks and the x1600 pro beat the hell out of it.

If you want to stick to NV, go for at least the 7600GT, as the GS is only a little better than the 7300GT at some things. If you don't mind ATI, get an x1650 pro. good bang for buck, but i can't remember how it compares to the 7600GTs

Cheator - was it a 64bit or 128bit 7300GT? I know there is a MASSIVE difference as I got a 64 by mistake, returned it, and got the 128 bit and not only did it OC like crazy, but almost tripled the 64 bit scores. In my case money was a seriously limiting factor and if I could have afforded the extra $30 for a 7600 I would have. Unfortunately some of us have a hard limit which we can spend.

Back