• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slamjack

I have a Dell XPS 400 pc that i bought in June last year. I know that Dell aren't the best for upgrading but I was wondering if anybody knew if i would be able to install a Core 2 Duo (Most likely an E6600) in mine. From what I can tell the model of the motherboard is 0fj030. The processor i currently i am running on is a Pentium D 940 (3.2GHZ). I didn't find much in my searches of the internet but these forums seem to have a very knowledgable user base so thanks in advance for your time.

:welcome:
Does your processor have pins or no pins. No pins is what we want. That's the first step, and I have no idea what your motherboard is!

Ok it supports LGA775, but I'm not sure if all LGA774 pin sockets can support C2D's.

it would be a shame to put such a nice chip in a crappy oem mobo :) and if its a pentium D 940, it has no pins. it's 775

just take all your components from that sys, and buy a new chip AND mobo, you will be much happier..

Thank you for the input on this issue. I might just go with jordon's advice and do more of a full system upgrade. I'm thinking that it would be in my best interest to save my money now and buy a better system later including a dx10 card when more some better games come out.

slamjack,
I would call dell support and ask them if your motherboard supports a c2d, simply because it isnt as simple as buying a new motherboard and cpu.

Dell uses proprietary power supplys and if memory serves me correctly, the case might not support atx motherboards either.

My guess is that your current configuration wont support a Core 2 Duo cpu. In which case, if you choose to upgrade, you'll have to buy a case, psu, cpu and motherboard.

Well I have already purchased an OCZ 700W PSU to replace the 350W one that originally came with the pc. I also had already planned on getting a new case if i found out that i would need a new motherboard, so I am not surprised with any of this but thanks again for replying and giving helpful advice.

if worse comes to worse, you could do a whole lot worse than a e6600 and a ~$100-120 mobo. if you get the right stuff (and there is lots to chose from), you should be able to get a e6600 to 3ghz with stock cooling. add in an aftermarket cooler, and you could see 3.4ghz+.

what speed ram does your current dell have in it? you may have to replace that too (if you intend on ocing, and it would be a shame if you didn't ;)).

I've been wondering about the same upgrade the poster is considering here. My friend also bought an xps400. Whne I researched it for a conroe upgrad it seems as though his D920/socket 775 chip ran on an intel 945G chipset. I found nothing of conroe being able to run on this type of chipset though.

kimochii72 said:
I've been wondering about the same upgrade the poster is considering here. My friend also bought an xps400. Whne I researched it for a conroe upgrad it seems as though his D920/socket 775 chip ran on an intel 945G chipset. I found nothing of conroe being able to run on this type of chipset though.
some mobo manufacturers have used 945 chipsets in c2d capable mobos. they are modified a bit i think.

with a dell, really the only SURE way to know is to call them up and ask. they don't publish much about their mobos..

lol this is why dells are no good to go with if you plan on gaming for long periods of time .... this turned into a simple cpu switching to now like a whole upgrade... no offence to dells because they are good for like laptops but i would never buy a dell desktop for gaming ... jsut costs too much to upgrade

Back