• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Ram vs Faster Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Compliance20

Im a designer and do more graphics work and 3d applications then gameing, but i still do some. I just have a quick question, im running a E660o core 2 Duo, 8800 Gts and 2x1gb 2ddr 800mhz ram chips. i have another ddr2 512mb but its abit slower 667mhz or something like that. So my question is; is the more ram worth the hit in speed for my work load? and would i notice a big difference if i nocked the 2gig down to 667 and added the 512 chip?

512mb more really isn't that significant of an improvement. I mean, it's more, but you wouldn't be running dual channel and you probably would take a decent performance hit. If you're looking for more RAM, you could probably add another 2GB and still keep everything dual channel...maybe lose some performance due to relaxed timings, but that wouldn't be too bad.

I agree... For 512 More... The performance Loss would NOT be worth it.
You need to Keep Dual Channel.

If you were to go to 4GBs though, it May be worth it.
What are the timings on your current ram?

With those nice Timings, I'd keep 2GB for sure.
Perhaps Going to 4Gb would be worth it. 512 more for sure not.
But other than that, No, i would stay with what you have.

Well, what kind of work load do you have? If you do 3d, what is the average poly count for real time work you're doing?

Back