• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Checking CPU temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
GTengineer said:
Coretemp

but the debate on which one actually works will rage until the end of time
There is no argument...coretemp is the correct one. It reads directly from the on die temp sensor on the processor. The BIOS reads from a sensor UNDER the processor.

Coretemp is the best...

thid don't go spreading false hope... we've been having huge debates over this... the first flaw is that the diode you speek of is not calibrated from the factory, so who knows if it even reads correctly... next is the fact that different revisions may or may not have different tjunction temps (100 vs 85). Next up is the debate over how the program reads the temp values (some use tcase (closest reliable temp sensor then subtract 15*). I could go on and on but I'm worn out on the subject... theres some good reading on the subject in this forum alone. And tat wasn't made for c2d's but it's the one I'd use to err on the side of caution, it usually reads the hottest...

On a side note I'd like to know how exactly coretemp could bypass everything and read straight from the diode (which isn't even calibrated mind you).

thideras said:
There is no argument...coretemp is the correct one. It reads directly from the on die temp sensor on the processor. The BIOS reads from a sensor UNDER the processor.

Coretemp is the best...
I dont think so .... there are plenty of threads lying around that will tell you otherwise (dig them up). TAT comes straight from Intel and some users don't get accurate readings with it either. And from what I understand the engineers don't put much trust on these either. The E4300 specifically has problems with coretemp and speedfan. Some batches get good readings from speedfan yet they get off readings from coretemp, while others like mine get good readings out of coretemp and not from speedfan...

I think core temp and TAT are the ones which make most sense. They also give me approximately the same temperatures, both of them. TAT gives me a temperature about a degree higher than coretemp.

The maximum reading I got running TAT at 100% reached 65 degrees. However it was stabilised at 62 degrees most of the time. TAT on idle gives me 34 degrees. This is with the oc rig in my signature.

Asus software and speedfan give me temperatures 15 degrees lower than my ambient temperature.:rolleyes:

I user Core Temp or TAT. Remember these are reading from a software. Treat them as a guideline. Most ppl Agree 65C Full load 24/7 is just fine. My temps get near 70C with Dual Orthos atm in summer but everything is 100% fine.

veng.... thats the best way to put it... as a guideline. I say use common sense as in if a program says your cpu is colder than ambience... it's wrong. For me speed fan seems to be correct. Durring idle it shows a few degrees above ambience while tat shows nearly 20* above at idle with water cooling.

I'll add that Core Temp and TAT read the same temps on both of my Asus P5B-DLx/E6600 combos. Pretty much exactly identical, to be honest. They just flip one degre back and forth, with each other.

~ Strat ~

Back