• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing from DOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cluster

How do you install linux from a dos prompt. I have the ISO files and no access to a burner. I do have a program that will expand the iso files.

If you've only got the ISO it is not possible to my knowledge.

What you can do if you don't have a cd writer is to find a distribution with a network installation like Debian or extract the files from the ISO and mount that partition during your installation.

You can also order cds for like $5 from places like http://www.cheapbytes.com This would be the easiest solution.

If you want to try extracting the ISO and mouting a FAT partition tell me and I'll talk you through it if you like.

If you have an app that will expand the iso's (I'd like ta have that! email me, plz! [email protected]), you can install from the hdd....just use rawrite to write the proper .img to a floppy

Depending on the distro, you should be able to expand the ISO, use some provided files within to make boot disks, use the disks to boot the installer, and then have the installer get its install files from your fat partition.

I know Slackware can do all that, and I know Mandrake Isos come with the stuff for creating the boot floppies.

Back