• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Machinist125

Im in the middle of upgrading my pc, trying to squeeze the last little bit out of it before i build a new one. Ive been doing some research and i hear some saying, modular vs non modular, dual 12v rail vs single rail. I dont know whats what anymore.

Even before i started to o/c my machine i noticed the voltages were under spec,and fluctuating.

I have the cpu up to 2.5g @1.4v and the ram @208.4mhz @ 2.7v

As you can see its a 2.5 year old 939 system, nothing spectacular, but i would like to use the psu for a new build some day. Im on a budget (wife) here are some I have found in my range. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ultra ULT31843 X-Finity 500w Power Supply

Ultra X-Finity 500-Watt ATX 120mm Fan SATA-Ready SLI-Ready
Ultra / V-Series / 500-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / 20/24-Pin / SATA Ready / Power Supply

Coolmax / CX-550B / Black / 550-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / 20/24-Pin / Power Supply

Ultra / X-Finity / 600-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI Ready / Blue / Power Supply

Rosewill RT550-135-SL 550W 135mm Fan SLI Ready - ATX V2.2/EPS12V Power Supply

Rosewill RP550V2-S-SL 550W SLI Ready-ATX 12V V2.01 Power Supply

Rosewill RP550-2 ATX 2.01 550W Power Supply

Last edited:
I'm guessing you copy-pasted the post from another forum or something, it'll only copy the text, not the URL.

However, HX520, or 520HX as it is more commonly listed, can easily handle a Quad Core along with a 8800GTX, all for $100 :p

An EA380W is also fine along with alot of OCZ PSU's. I just like the HX520...

Machinist125 said:
Im in the middle of upgrading my pc, trying to squeeze the last little bit out of it before i build a new one. Ive been doing some research and i hear some saying, modular vs non modular, dual 12v rail vs single rail. I dont know whats what anymore.

Even before i started to o/c my machine i noticed the voltages were under spec,and fluctuating.

I have the cpu up to 2.5g @1.4v and the ram @208.4mhz @ 2.7v

As you can see its a 2.5 year old 939 system, nothing spectacular, but i would like to use the psu for a new build some day. Im on a budget (wife) here are some I have found in my range. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Machinist,

Besides the great recommendations made by ancalime and Hazaro, this one is a budget power supply that's been recommended by many here:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-E5150GH

However, ZZF gives free shipping and no tax so the difference may not be that much from all three. The Corsair is modular.

By the way, is it a safe guess you currently use one of the Antec model power supplies?

Thanks for the fast replies, sorry about the dead links, fixed em.

Im looking in the $50-$70 range.

Thanks

RollingThunder said:
Machinist,

By the way, is it a safe guess you currently use one of the Antec model power supplies?

Actually its a L&C450 that came with the case.

Thanks

Thats just great:-/ I knew it was cheap but not a disaster waiting to happen.

Would you still recommend the Ewiz psu over the Ultras and the Rosewills witht the higher power rating.

Also used the psu calculator at extreme outer vision and it had my systen rated for 398w psu.

Last edited:
Machinist125 said:

Would you still recommend the Ewiz psu over the Ultras and the Rosewills

Rosewill: on the same disaster list!

Ultra: some are listed a good units (Ultra except X2 & X-Finity) from that same list.

Machinist125 said:

Would you still recommend the Ewiz psu over the Ultras and the Rosewills witht the higher power rating.

Also used the psu calculator at extreme outer vision and it had my systen rated for 398w psu.

Machinist,

Throw out that URL for those PS calculators, it's very subjective and misleading. The Enhance units mentioned are used by several of the knowledgable here on their daily computers. They are good budget units. If they use it, that should be a good enough recommendation and they are ideal for what you have.

Thank You Rolling Thunder, I appreciate all the help. Ill start shopping around for the best price.

Machinist

ATNG built Rosewills are a fair bit up the ladder from Deer built L&C units. I'd call them average quality, whereas L&C is... a disaster waiting to happen ;)

I'd pick the Ultra X-Fininty with the 135mm fan. Its available at Tigerdirect for $80. JonnyGURU said that these are Andyson built units. If so, that price is dirt cheap for a solidly built unit. :)

What about this one?

XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W ATX 500W

$58 Shipped, reviews seem good, but I can't tell. I was going to order a Xclio for my rig originally. I'm not sure if the 16 and 17amps on 12V is enough though.

APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply

$40 shipped with $10 MIR, I think Apevia is a good company, but I'm not sure. This PSU has 16 and 18 amps on 12V.

Rosewill RP550-2 ATX 2.01 550W Power Supply

Last one? $60 shipped 18amps and 18amps on 12V

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN, 12cm FAN, version 2.2, 2 SATA, PCI Express, 450W Power Supply

I need to stop this... $52 shipped 18amps and 18amps again [+3.3V@30A, +5V@28A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, [email protected], +5VSB@2A]

Last edited:
Oklahoma Wolf said:
Above average, utter junk, average, above average in that order. None of them can touch the Enhance mentioned earlier.

Ok, I haven't heard of enhance PSU's before, but I'll but it on my list. :beer:

Back