• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this wire okay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PWatterson

Is this wire okay? SEE POST 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to make some 6-pin extenders for my pci-e cables and I was wondering if this wire I purchased will be okay to use. I know the gauge is correct (I read 18 on the OCZ wire), but I am clueless otherwise.

Last edited:
PWatterson said:
I want to make some 6-pin extenders for my pci-e cables and I was wondering if this wire I purchased will be okay to use. I know the gauge is correct (I read 18 on the OCZ wire), but I am clueless otherwise.

Do you HAVE to extend these? I say this because extending wire adds unneeded resistance (at the solder joint and through the wire).

To answer your question, yes it will work.

EDIT: I do see one problem, it is not braided wire, it is solid...

Well, I don't have to make the extensions, but I would like to route these two cables a bit better the next time I clean my case. Since they are wrapped in whatever OCZ wraps them in, they are stiff and hard to manage. I only want to add about eight inches to a foot max on each cable. I know there will be more resistance, but will that really be an issue? If it is, I am all for leaving the cables like they are. oops about the solid. I did not see any braided there at radio shack. Could it work as long as the joint to the pin is solid?

These are just power cables not signal right?
You'll be fine, wire is wire in this case. Just make sure to get a nicely soldered joint, apply a decent amount of heat for the solder to flow freely. Use shrink tubing over the joints when done.

PWatterson said:

Before you do this, do you really want to? If your PSU is under warranty it soon won't be if you go along with this. More legnth means more resistance, it has to obey physics. I'm not 100% sure how that will effect your device, but before you touch things i would be. Does it bother you that much? This isn't a risk-free project, and a little annoyance could turn into a large problem.

dont use solid wire for this... use nice braided stuff. the resistance is negligable for even a 5 foot piece of wire... way less than 1 ohm which wont do much.

Oxalic32 said:
Before you do this, do you really want to? If your PSU is under warranty it soon won't be if you go along with this. More legnth means more resistance, it has to obey physics. I'm not 100% sure how that will effect your device, but before you touch things i would be. Does it bother you that much? This isn't a risk-free project, and a little annoyance could turn into a large problem.

Oh, I didn't think it would void the warranty (I have not read it that closely, though.) I am not actually cutting the OCZ wire. I got male and female PCI-E connector thingies and this is the wire I got. I guess I better do some research before I do this. I thought it was just make the wire, connect it, and enjoy. :confused:

Edit: I might as well make sure these parts are ok, too.

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...ESC=39-00-0041&R=863-0382&sid=46620480669E17F

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...SC=39-00-0039&R=863-0419&sid=466204805767E17F

https://www.alliedelec.com/Search/P...SC=39-01-2060&R=863-0324&sid=466204806186E17F

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...SC=39-01-3063&R=863-0446&sid=466204802A2AE17F

I have all these in hand, btw.

Last edited:
You all are making this sounds WAY too complicated.
He is making a simple extension of a 12v or 5v wire. Resistance is negligible. In the worst case scenario IF the resistance is too high the dive is just not going to turn on...

Borisw37 said:
You all are making this sounds WAY too complicated.
He is making a simple extension of a 12v or 5v wire. Resistance is negligible. In the worst case scenario IF the resistance is too high the dive is just not going to turn on...
The device won't turn on? Yes, it will. And if its amperage goes up (like startng a game), the wire will start creating heat. Yeah, it won't be much and the resistance isn't that big...but I still wouldn't do it. It all comes down to if you really want to do it or not.

Go right ahead. Its not going to pose any problem. The wire will have little if no resistance and 18awg wire can handle quite a few amps before heating up. Prolly would run 2 or 3 hard drives before a problem occured. The only thing you will find is the solid core wire might break internaly after being flexed alot. If you wont be moving it around after the innitial installation go right ahead. Besisdes solid core wire will hug shapes and edges better for wire routing because it holds its shape.

lol, you guys are going to far with this stuff.

heres exactly what i did. bought 3 yate loons, and spliced all three of them into one Molex pass through connector so then i was left with 2 complete molex Male to Femal connectors, but they were only 2 inches, so i grabed some random copper wire i had, i didn't care, and extended them to 5 inches solderd them nicely together, and then used electrical tape, not a single problem over 6 months now.

and doing that didn't void my warranty at all. but yea, do what skeith said, don't flex it too much otherwise it could snap. just do it once and then tape it in place so it won't do anything bad.

as long as you solder it, even if you don't it'll still work fine... i have plenty of unsolderd connections in my case but they're not causing any problems. not even warm to the touch,

For the record, it is my two video cards that the wires are concerning. But yeah, I guess I will do it. I don't have a soldering iron, but I figure those are pretty cheap. The next time I am out and about, I will look for braided, but you guys say the solid should work just fine?

PWatterson said:
For the record, it is my two video cards that the wires are concerning. But yeah, I guess I will do it. I don't have a soldering iron, but I figure those are pretty cheap. The next time I am out and about, I will look for braided, but you guys say the solid should work just fine?

yea, solid should work fine and dandy, just when your bending, bend slowly, and only do it once or twice. don't bend it 90 degrees to the left, then 90 to the right at the same part on the wire. otherwise you'll cause it to break internaly

Soldering irons can run anywhere from $5 to real real pricey (some of those Hakko stations are real nice but will hit your wallet pretty badly). For your purposes you should be fine with the cheapest one at your local electronics or hardware store. For electronics work, make sure you get a fine point round tip.

As said before, solid core should work fine, just don't break it. Braided wire is nicer, if you want some you can pick up a role of speaker wire.

Well, the project got delayed and I opened up the wire a few days ago and I found the solid copper wire from the first post was too stiff. Would this stuff work for the cables I am trying to make?

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...R=293-1348&sid=46902900186B617F&tab=specs#tab

It says it is stranded. Is it okay that it is only 20 AWG and the Powerstream's wires are 18 AWG? The 18 AWG is like seven bucks more.

I was thinking... Instead of destroying the PSU wires and its warranty how about make up an extension... Find a female end so you can plug it into the male end on the PSU cable and run as much wire as you wish and add another female to the end of the wire and you can use the solid wire to make it easy... If you cannot find a female end maybe you can find an old blown up defected PCI-E SLI card and get one off there

BEcause what if your PSU decides to give up a week later..you are screwedddddddd

That is what I am doing. I have the male and female connectors and the proper pins in hand. I am just trying to find some suitable wire that is close to what OCZ used.

I didn't read the replies, but this is solid wire, you almost have to use braided.

EDIT: I'm way too late haha

Anybody? Sorry to be pushy, but if this is the sutff that will work, I want to get it shipped out today.

Back