• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

poor overclock!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrbobc

hi guys!

i cant seem to get even a 10% increase on my cpu! i'm a newbie at this so please be patient if i ask a silly question!:)

ive got an amd 5200+ 2.60ghz @ 2.79ghz with arctic cooler fan and full load temp at 44c, idle 31c, and an M2A-mvp motherboard with 2gig corsair 5400.

ive been following the guidelines from this forum going up in increments of 4 on my fsb! its currently at 215 x 13 (although i havent fully tested it yet, its ongoing as i speak! 50mins atm!) the last fully tested fsb is 212 x13!

ive been testing with orthos on priority 9! is this right to do??

the problem is that when i set it to 216fsb i got an error on my second core at about 4 mins saying 'expected less than 0.4 currently 0.5! consult the manual' or words to that effect! but i cant find no help files and i dont know what this means? is it a memory error or a cpu error? i'm testing both!

what does this mean overall? can i not go any further? or can i increase voltage and carry on?

also if i set my memory fsb to 400 (normal 333 @ 667mhz) to get 800mhz do i need to increase the mem voltage? and what effect will this have on any overclocking? or anything else for that matter!!

Use memtest86 to test the ram.
So before you up the fsb, up the ram to 800 and run memtest on it. If it works, great, set it to 667 and start on the cpu. If not, up the ram voltage and test again. If it still doesn't work then you might have to lower to 533 to make way for cpu overclocking. You have to remember that the 533/667/800 settings in the bios are not literal, they are relative to the cpu speed, eg 2600/8=325=~333, so at 2790/8=348mhz ram.

Also look into how good your motherboard is, is it known to do fsb speeds that high?

yeah it does 800mhz but i dont know how good an overclocker it is?!

does anyone have any experience with it?? asus M2A-MVP!:)

orthos has now been going over 3hrs @215 x13 with mem set to 800mhz!(400mhz)
the last test was set to 1:1 at 216 x13. is this why i got an error maybe??

any help appreciated!:)

Denbob99 said:
Is it the AMD OC as easy as 1, 2 ,3 guide you've been following?

No! i thought it was but its a different 1, but basically i just took notes to go in steps of 4 on the fsb then stress test, then another 4...etc!

i havent got a floppy for memtest and i cant get it to work from a cd but i just did a 32m superpi test and it went through in 27 mins no probs but i dont know if that tells me anything?!

is 4h30m @215 fsb long enough for a stress test? its an age when compared to 4mins @ 216 fsb for an error!

Last edited:
Don't do long stress tests until you get to the final stage, ie settings you want to be at. For now a quick 5 min test should do in telling you whether you can go up more or not. Then when you find the speed you want you do a 12hour test.

cheers!

i cant seem to up my voltage(fid) for my cpu! i set it to say 1.35v but it stays the same at around 1.30v at load according to amd powmon and everest?! why is this? am i doing anything wrong?

i think ive got the most out of my current voltage but im not sure whether to increase mem voltage too? or even if i can atm!!

cheers!

i cant seem to up my voltage(fid) for my cpu! i set it to say 1.35v but it stays the same at around 1.30v at load according to amd powmon and everest?! why is this? am i doing anything wrong?

i think ive got the most out of my current voltage but im not sure whether to increase mem voltage too? or even if i can atm!!

Don't know that board, but does it lock the PCIe/PCI bus? If not that's probably why you can't OC more than 10% without serious issues.

Suprchargd said:
Don't know that board, but does it lock the PCIe/PCI bus? If not that's probably why you can't OC more than 10% without serious issues.

hmmm... interesting!

being a noob i'm not sure what you mean? how would i go about checking this in bios? are you saying i need to lock the PCIe/PCI bus?

Back