• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adapting mcw6002s for socket AM2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

penquissciguy

I'm looking to start my first watercooling setup and I may be able to get hold of a mcw6002 at a decent price. The problem is there's no socket AM2 bracket for that particular waterblock. Is there enough clearance on a socket AM2 heatsink frame for me to attach "ears" to the socket 939 mounting plate? Do I even need the heatsink frame? I'm thinking of something like this (I know the holes probably aren't in the right place, this is just the concept):

am2edit.gif

What do you think?

Ken

Honestly, I'd just buy a water block that was designed for it, or make a flat plate with holes for the barbs and 4 holes for the mounting bolts and mount it directly to the motherboard. The heatsink retension box thing will just complicate maters, you just want to bolt the block to the backplate for the heatsink retainer.

2nd the notion for an Apogee. The extra money spent isn't worth the hassle, maybe that's just me. If you really don't mind making the mounting I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Back