• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retail Vista (x86) owners wanting x64 , only $9.95 !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
Ok , Ive read plenty of threads about people owning Vista x86 that wish they had gotten the x64 version instead ; mostly for 4gig+ memory installed .

Well MS does allow RETAIL OWNERS ONLY of Vista x86 to upgrade to x64 for a mear $9.95 .This applies to all retail versions minus the Ultimate version (as Ultimate comes with both x86/x64) .

All you have to do is give you current licence key when ordering and $9.95+tax . You'll then receive a complete x64 dvd of the current Vista version your using in the mail . I did this with my Vista Buisness x86 from the late/past "Power-Together" promo version I have , as it too is a retail version .

Again Iam posting this "deal" because of all the posts/threads about peeps wishing they had the x64 vs x86 ; and it seems most people do not know about this easy and cheap upgrade .

Iam sure this will make alot of current x86 Vista owners alot happier .

Here is the purchase LINKY : http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

Enjoy ;) :D !

Last edited:
You can't use an OEM version to get the 64bit.

I did this with my home premium and got it through microsoft.com The problem is that the shipping is very slow, it took about 2 weeks to get to me.

IAmMoen said:
for the record I just tried this for the 32 bit vista I got through my school and it doesnt work.

I got 3 copies of Vista Business from my school, 32bit in CD and DVD format, as well as a 64bit DVD one, unfortunetely I graduated and forgot to download the 64bit DVD, however I do have keys for both 32bit versions and I was able to order the $10 64bit upgrade, now when I get the DVD I will let you guys know if its a new key or if I can use the same one, from what I gather from Microsoft you can use the 32bit key to install the equal version in 64bit format, except for the started version. I'll know for sure when I receive the DVD.

funzie said:
now when I get the DVD I will let you guys know if its a new key or if I can use the same one, from what I gather from Microsoft you can use the 32bit key to install the equal version in 64bit format, except for the started version. I'll know for sure when I receive the DVD.

You will use your 32bit key for the x64 install . ;)

stereo555 said:

Yep. That is what I did for the Vista Business that was part of the Power Together promotion, and it worked just fine. No problems with the install at all.

stereo555 said:

Except for Ultimate, When purchasing Ultimate, the Keys for 32b and 64b are not the same. The sticker kinda says "using 64b key will disable 32b key" you may use one or the other but the other key will invalidate once you activate one.

This is retail Ultimate Vista.

Back