• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GTX SLI, what case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reyn

just wondering whats a good case for a potential 8800GTX SLI rig? 4get the stackers, i absolutely dislike the stackers. I wan't something that's big, fair looking and has a good airflow to accommodate 2 8800GTX.

What is your budget?

I have a Gigabyte Aurora 570 at home. It's big and it wasn't that expensive.

It should fit just about anything.

Lian-Li PC-75

http://www.xoxide.com/lianlipc751.html

xoxide_1953_114051151

or a Lian-Li G75 both of these can be bought without windows if desired.

http://www.xoxide.com/lian-li-pc-g75-silver.html

xoxide_1952_41198633

Indeed, 2x250mm fans would provide a bit of airflow. The thing that is silly though, is that the bumped out shroud dealie is pointless. If you look at the pics you see that the fans are actually mounted on the INSIDE of the door. So all that big shroud does is provide a place for the LEDs. Silly waste of space IMO. But the 2x250mm fans should provide a bit of airflow :) The internals didn't look too bad either. Though for the price I'd seek other options. You could always put a couple of 250mm fans on any other case.

Silverstone TJ-07 caught my eyes, but it sure is expansive. you guys reckon that case is worth getting?

sst-tj07-op-lg.gif

jivetrky said:
That is my D-R-E-A-M case :) If you can afford it, it's totally awesome!

but the VGA part is not cooled though :(

what about the Lian Li PC-A10? looks like a reall decent high end case as well.

pca10002.jpg

Reyn said:
but the VGA part is not cooled though :(

what about the Lian Li PC-A10? looks like a reall decent high end case as well.

[img-]http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/directron/pca10002.jpg[/img]

ahh...I don't think it's really necessary. But i guess if you do you could always put a fan in the side door.

EDIT: oh and yeah, that Lianli looks nice as well...just not as sexy as the TJ07 :) And after having a case with a door (Stacker 830), I'm not a fan of doors anymore.

Last edited:
jivetrky said:
Indeed, 2x250mm fans would provide a bit of airflow. The thing that is silly though, is that the bumped out shroud dealie is pointless. If you look at the pics you see that the fans are actually mounted on the INSIDE of the door. So all that big shroud does is provide a place for the LEDs. Silly waste of space IMO. But the 2x250mm fans should provide a bit of airflow :) The internals didn't look too bad either. Though for the price I'd seek other options. You could always put a couple of 250mm fans on any other case.

The fans are actually mounted in the shroud, which is attached to the door. A older model XClio case, which had a single 250mm fan mounted on the inside panel, would cause problems for some cards as it would make contact with the cards before you could fully close the side panel. So with this model, thier mounted within the shroud, which is mounted on the outside of the side panel.

And yes, the 250mm do move quite abit of air. But it still isnt enough to keep a GTX with stock cooling at "comfortable" tempertures. Right now, the gpu of my GTX within that case (yes, I own a Windtunnel and I love it) is idling @ 56C with a room temp of 69F. Granted, I have the 250mm fans on its lowest settings, but even at thier highest it would only drop it another 1 or 2C.

Dunno why it doesnt cool better. Either the GTX run naturally hot on air, or these fans are too strong and not allowing the fan on the GTX to actually suck in air and blow it across the gpu as it sould.

Hmm... lemme turn the fan thats directly over the GTX off and see what happens to the temps. I'll update this in a few minutes.

[Edit]Turning off the fan directly over the GTX, made its temp fluctuate from 56-57C, and also raised my cpu temps from 21C (ambient) to 22-23C. Turning off the 2nd fan, raised the gpu to 58C, and the cpu to 24-25C. Seems like it runs hot, and the stock cooler isnt enough to keep the GTX @ decent temps.[/Edit]

Last edited:
Back