• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Utter Dissapointment: WW Block doesnt fit on Gigabyte DS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v3x

Registered
Today i tried for the first time to mount my whitewater block on my Gigabyte DS3 (1.3v). Unfortunately there are things in the way that prevent it from sitting flat. Im going to have to further postpone the setting up of my system.

13-128-042-04.jpg

It doesnt seem like theres anything i can do to fix the problem, except by a new block.

Is the NB HSF in the way? If this is the case just buy an MCW30 or HR-30.

I recomend the NB water block seeming you doin water already and it does not cost much more than a HR-03

(It does not restrict the flow all that much either)

The things in the red circle are in the way, i dont know what they are but they are ********.

untitledbb3.jpg

Last edited:
Im thinking a fusion of a swift tech probably whichever one is cheaper ha.

there is an easy way to mod a bracket using pc card place holders. Ill take pix tomorrow. it works perfectly for me and i get good temps. you don't need to buy another block

roughly it involves sliding the block down against the mem slot so it clears the mosfots then fabing a bar to go across the block on both sides with holes in them for the mount screws. the bars are parallel to each other

tools required:a drill and a sharpie

xtreme_ego said:
there is an easy way to mod a bracket using pc card place holders. Ill take pix tomorrow. it works perfectly for me and i get good temps. you don't need to buy another block

roughly it involves sliding the block down against the mem slot so it clears the mosfots then fabing a bar to go across the block on both sides with holes in them for the mount screws. the bars are parallel to each other

this issue plagues by the way from experience the dq6 the ds3 and the 680i:bang head

Silly question perhaps, but have you tried rotating the block 90°. The LGA775 mounting holes are nearly square, you may get a better fit by rotating it. Also you may be able to grind down the metal to make it fit.

xtreme_ego said:

hmm sounds interesting, thx for telling me about the ebay thing heh. i was thinking i could probably zip tie it heh, but i dont know im getting desperate.

BOOOOOO, I was planning on installing all my water this weekend. Now I have to get a new block as well. Oh well, I hate the 3 barb design anyway.

Moto7451 said:
Silly question perhaps, but have you tried rotating the block 90°. The LGA775 mounting holes are nearly square, you may get a better fit by rotating it. Also you may be able to grind down the metal to make it fit.

Yeah man i tried that first as well, as for the grind i did the measurements. The grinding would have to be less than 2m. It would a spot on the block like around .2mm thick or something. You would need some real accuracy to actually do this. Even them im not sure if it would make the clearance. Im going to spend some time looking at it tomorrow.

Knacko said:
BOOOOOO, I was planning on installing all my water this weekend. Now I have to get a new block as well. Oh well, I hate the 3 barb design anyway.

Yes this blows, nice to see im not the only one in this situation, maybe we can figure out a solution but im going to sleep now i think.-

Try mounting it at a diagonal. There's no rule that says a block has to be perpendicular to anything ;).

The mounting can make a slight difference depending on a couple of things. I think I was reading about people with storms and dual core processors and that rotating the block 90 degrees is as much as a 4-5 degree temp difference. It appears that because of the channels in the WW you would want to orient the block so that as much water as possible will flow over both cores. So rotation may or may not have an effect on temps, but it will still serve its purpose rotated.

A very very slight one. It's basically square however. See the attached picture.

Not working at all v.s. a little performance loss... I'd say it's worth the risk ;).

Attachments

• mounting-plate.gif
    mounting-plate.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 310
If you were really stuck, you could solder then off and mount then on the back of the board....

Ha thats certainly an option but i dont think its viable, here are some pictures of problem. I was originally mounting in wrong, but even now that its the right way the other things are in the way haha. Im thinknig about just grinding material off like the person above said.

img0058eb8.jpg

img0057pb0.jpg

img0059ih1.jpg

img0060gc1.jpg

img0062vy3.jpg

img0063rk0.jpg

Back