• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800Ultra or 7900GTO sli?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bonefish5

Registered
Currently running 7900GTO sli with Vista Ultimate.

Would you guys stick with whatI have or jump to the 8800ultra? I couldn't sli the ultra due to cash flow, so it would be 7900GTO sli vs (1) 8800 Ultra.

Off topic, but what is the best overclocking utility to run with vista?

Ultra is overpriced, so get a GTX and you can OC to Ultra speeds.

I think ATI tool works in Vista now.

edit;

one 8800GTX beats 7900GTO SLI hands down. Plus youll get better IQ.

Last edited:
Well, are you happy with your current performance? A single 8800gtx won't give you much more than what you already have ATM.

dan

I've been using Riva tuner in Vista and it's been working great. As for the GPUs, you should be fine with your setup for a least a few more months until DX10 games actually start appearing and the cards start coming down in price a bit. It's always better to wait to upgrade if possible. And agreed, 8800 Ultras are over-priced; get a GTX if you must have the best.

UglyChild said:
Ultra is overpriced, so get a GTX and you can OC to Ultra speeds.

Im not 100% sure, i think one stock 8800GTX will beat 7900GTO SLI.
I think ATI tool works in Vista now.

Yes 7900gto sli is not anywhere near 1 8800gtx. Heck, 2 8800 gts 320mb cards in sli are only slightly better then 1 gtx.

Just a note,
An 8800 GTX will not overclock to Ultra Speeds.
660/1060 is about average OC on GTX.
700/1150 is about average OC on Ultra. Some people are even attaining 1215+ on the mem side.

dominick32 said:
Just a note,
700/1150 is about average OC on Ultra. Some people are even attaining 1215+ on the mem side.

Yeah but for the money you might as well buy 2x 8800GTS's and run those in SLI.

dominick32 said:
Just a note,

Stock Ultra stock speeds is 612/1080. So yeah, GTX will see those speeds.

UglyChild said:
Stock Ultra stock speeds is 612/1080. So yeah, GTX will see those speeds.
I was speaking on terms of overclockability for both cards. At stock, a GTX will OC to a stock Ultra. Yes.

deathman20 said:
Yeah but for the money you might as well buy 2x 8800GTS's and run those in SLI.
Just give me about 1 week until I clock up my Ultra will chilled water on a Viper block. :beer:

UglyChild said:
I think, with same cooler and same BIOS, GTX can OC to Ultra OC speeds.

Just not possible. Memory on the Ultra is cherry picked 8ns, 1200Mhz GDR3's which are extremely expensive modules that you will not find on the GTX.

dominick32 said:
Just not possible. Memory on the Ultra is cherry picked 8ns, 1200Mhz GDR3's which are extremely expensive modules that you will not find on the GTX.

Fair enough. But if you edit the bios and relax the mem timings, you should be able to get same speeds.
You might not get same exact performance clock for clock and fps for fps, there will be some difference, but you will be able to clock it to same speeds.

dominick32 said:
Just give me about 1 week until I clock up my Ultra will chilled water on a Viper block. :beer:

Well of course highly modded ones will run great :) Just thinking in the perspective of non-super modded cards.

UglyChild said:
Fair enough. But if you edit the bios and relax the mem timings, you should be able to get same speeds.
You might not get same exact performance clock for clock and fps for fps, there will be some difference, but you will be able to clock it to same speeds.
I need Viper John in here to respond to you. lol
Let me PM him.

PS- I am in complete agreement with you. I already owned an 8800GTX, and unless you are an extreme cooled overclocker. The Ultra is, as anandtech already stated: "a complete and utter waster of money". However, if you plan on benchmarking and OC'ing the hell out of cherry picked silicon, than the Ultra is the top of the line answer right now.

UglyChild said:

Well who cares about the same speed if the performance is different?

The 8800 Ultra will be running at tighter memory timings with a cherry-picked core. I'm not saying it isn't a waste of money... of course it is... but just because you'll have clocks that SAY it's as fast (and technically, if that were the case, an 8600GTS should blow away my 8800GTS 640) doesn't mean that it is.

Just to put my 2 cents in as I have an Ultra.

Im on 100% stock air and running 733/1156 my benchmarks are posted up, even with XP now (sorry DM20) and unless you are running two GTX's or have you CPU hitting 4.5ghz+ as my benching is a little over 3.7 then your eating my dust :beer:

IMO the Ultra is a nice card if you have a need or a want for the very best.

Deanzo said:
IMO the Ultra is a nice card if you have a need or a want for the very best.
X2. I also own an Ultra. :beer:
It will soon be receiving some chilled water treatment as well as a phase change unit on the CPU.

You can add to that I've never actually SEEN an 8800 GTX vanilla run 733/1156. You can loosen the timings all you want, but I'll be hitting 925/1500 on my 8800 GTS before you hit 733/1156 on a regular GTX.

Deanzo said:
Just to put my 2 cents in as I have an Ultra.

Im on 100% stock air and running 733/1156 my benchmarks are posted up, even with XP now (sorry DM20) and unless you are running two GTX's or have you CPU hitting 4.5ghz+ as my benching is a little over 3.7 then your eating my dust :beer:

CHEATER ;) Man was some good runs between our cards, just to bad I don't have a proper board to go with my CPU, while its good don't get me wrong just that FSB limit grrr.

Back