• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R650 / 670 is no go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Fudzilla said:
We learned a disturbing bit of news and that is that all the information about the 65 nanometre part, including the “leaks within AMD”, were false.

AMD wants to find some high profile mole(s) and deliberately planted these two codenames and a chip specification.

Fudzilla has seen these documents and can confirm that there were at least a few mentions of R650 or R670, but I have to dissapoint you all, as it is not real.

R600 is the best you will see from ATI until Christmas and you will have to find your peace with it.

However, the RV670 exists.

Well if we can believe this well damn :( Bad news really, or good news depending which way you think of it.

Good news:
There spending there money else where and focusing on the future instead of spending more time in a die shrink for a product thats not the best or not the worst just middle of the road. Anyone that got a 2900XT won't feel guilty about buying it now thinking that another card would come out in a few months.

Bad news:
Well no die shrink for us, so no lower power consumption/higher clocks/higher performance.

Disappointing...

I had no plans to upgrade until a good DX10 game came out but still not good news.

Just have to hope that they will get back in the competitive market instead of staying in the mediocre area..

CGR said:
Disappointing...

I had no plans to upgrade until a good DX10 game came out but still not good news.

Just have to hope that they will get back in the competitive market instead of staying in the mediocre area..
Ya, lets hope they dont go the way of S3 and matrox, basically something people laugh at when you say you have one. They may not be top of the line now, but atleast people still take them seriously.

freakdiablo said:
Ya, lets hope they dont go the way of S3 and matrox, basically something people laugh at when you say you have one. They may not be top of the line now, but atleast people still take them seriously.

Happened to me in High School:

"So what videocard do you have?"

"The Matrox Mystique."

"Mystique? You mean the MISTAKE."

Well sadly, S3 have every now and then put out a good low end discrete card or two, often better than what ATI and Nvidia have, but other than as integrated solutions they haven't been able to sell many of them.

So the 2900 is really that bad? I can't believe they're already projecting the 55nm model for this year, thats of course if this info on vrzone is true.

Maybe they are skipping 65nm and going with 55nm? Sounds kind of crazy that TSMC or one of the other foundry companies would have successful 55nm in early Q4. AMD never announced anything about 55nm. I had not even heard of a 55nm node for large silicon like GPUs, I had heard about it for memory but they are vastly simpler dies. Intersting they used the 65nm rumors to find a mole :eek: sucks for those who were hoping to pick up a 65nm refresh in mid Q3. This may be another factor why 8800GTSs crept up a bit too, if NV caught wind of no refresh they figured there wouldn't be as much competition.

thlnk3r said:
So the 2900 is really that bad? I can't believe they're already projecting the 55nm model for this year, thats of course if this info on vrzone is true.

Bad not so much. Less than the rumors inevadable.

Welcome to the perpetual ATI/AMD rumor mill. Check out the thread by viper John.

Back